+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Does the loss of sap or damage from tapping impact long term health of trees more?

Quote Originally Posted by wdchuck View Post
    ....and speaking of trashing.....if thats your ad, then you are inferring that oil, vacuum, and ROs produce an inferior quality product. Thats a pile and you know it. Market your own product in a positive light instead of trashing the rest of us!
    At the risk of starting another battle...... I have heard the RO can give you lighter grade syrup but with a stronger than normal flavor. One of the large producers in my area used to say this before he got his RO.

Again. I did not read the whole thread, but we has sugarmakers have to be prepared to answer one of the most common consumer questions, "Does vacuum hurt the trees?"

It's very hard to argue logically that extracting a significantly higher volume of sap does not (at least slightly) hurt the tree. My answer to this, when asked, is the the vacuum producers use smaller taps, use less taps and manage their sugarbush to compensate.

I plan on doing all of this when I add vacuum probably next season.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

This is such a stupid thread I can't believe it's still going. Heres my take on the whole thing. I don't think vacuum hurts a tree at all but if it does I really don't care. I run 28 lbs in the woods and will keep doing this until all the trees are dead. I only have about 20 more years of sugaring before I will be to old to do it anymore. All I want is for my trees to give me 20 more years and I will be a happy camper. There is no difference in taste between oil fired and wood fired syrup. I have taking the test and could not tell them apart. I have also tasted RO syrup at 20% and 2% and I cannot tell them apart. I buy eggs from caged birds and they taste as good as the cage less chicken eggs. I don't care if they put 50 birds in a small cage just give me my omelet please. I injected Posi-Lack in dairy cows for years and there is no difference in the milk flavor. Just give me my milk shake please. I think to many people make a big deal out of the non important things in life. Don't even get me going on the organic nonsense. What a money making scam that is.

Spud

This site is going to change names soon..... THE NEW MAPLE BASHER ......wow tough crowd around here. Kinda depressing what has happened to this place, unless your a BASHER.

I take it back. Everyone's heart isn't in the right place. I must take what comfort I can from the doctrine of Limbo.
    seem to have peaked @ 20 taps: bags on hangers
    Homemade RO
    2 or 3 gallons syrup per annum, formerly with wood fire arch and batch pans
    then Dark Star 2.0 burner and 8 gal Megapot Brew Kettle with ball valve
    transitioning now to 30x17x9 flat pan

rarely have so few toiled so much for so little

Sap Aussie Gidget,
    and my one and only Jill

http://twodogsgonewild.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    This is such a stupid thread I can't believe it's still going. Heres my take on the whole thing. I don't think vacuum hurts a tree at all but if it does I really don't care. I run 28 lbs in the woods and will keep doing this until all the trees are dead. I only have about 20 more years of sugaring before I will be to old to do it anymore. All I want is for my trees to give me 20 more years and I will be a happy camper. There is no difference in taste between oil fired and wood fired syrup. I have taking the test and could not tell them apart. I have also tasted RO syrup at 20% and 2% and I cannot tell them apart. I buy eggs from caged birds and they taste as good as the cage less chicken eggs. I don't care if they put 50 birds in a small cage just give me my omelet please. I injected Posi-Lack in dairy cows for years and there is no difference in the milk flavor. Just give me my milk shake please. I think to many people make a big deal out of the non important things in life. Don't even get me going on the organic nonsense. What a money making scam that is.

Spud
    I find I couldn't agree with you more!
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Yeah so lets revive it then.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678