+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to tubing - question about end of mainline

Default New to tubing - question about end of mainline

Hi!

I am hoping to tap trees for the first time and was hoping for a little bit of advice.

I have only about 15 trees, on a steep (north facing) slope and it was recommended to me to use all 5/16 lines, even for mainline. At the end of the line I want to put a 55 gallon plastic barrel. I bought a fitting for the end tree to loop tube around it - but I can't figure out how to attach it to the tree without is sliding down? For this short (100-150') steep run do I need to get steel cable or can I just stretch the 5/16 tubing tight? And how do I do that? I was reading posts mentioning "chinese fingers" and "end rings" but don't know what that means. Does anybody have any photos or diagrams of this?

Thanks so very much for taking the time to help me as I am trying to figure this out, I just bought land and am SO excited about the sugaring but also realize there is a big learning curve...

Thank you!

Yana

The end fitting connects so the line circles the tree, then run the 5/16 from tree to tree, zig zaging so each tree helps hold the elevation, also go past non maples the same way. At the bottom I sugest you also have an end tree connection to hold tension. When connecting have the top end tree "drop" face up to tap and at the bottom have the "drop face down to drain into your collection barrel. Tap the trees and start having fun.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

welcome to the trader! yes use 5/16" for everything. stretch the tubing tight and weave it in between the trees your taping. i use leader endrings, you slide it on the tubing, wrap the tubing aroung the tree cut it so it is tight and attach it to the endring then put a peice of tubing on the other barb on the end righ and run it to the barrel.

spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

Thanks so much, Spencer and Dave! That's the fitting I got (I didn't know it was called an end ring!) but finding it impossible to get the loop tight around the trunk and still get the tubing over the barbs since it doesn't exactly slide on (it took a lot of force and lots of turning and pushing to get one side on). Any tricks to that? Would it maybe help to warm the tubing somehow?
    Thanks again!
    Yana

Quote Originally Posted by Yana Frank View Post
    Thanks so much, Spencer and Dave! That's the fitting I got (I didn't know it was called an end ring!) but finding it impossible to get the loop tight around the trunk and still get the tubing over the barbs since it doesn't exactly slide on (it took a lot of force and lots of turning and pushing to get one side on). Any tricks to that? Would it maybe help to warm the tubing somehow?
    Thanks again!
    Yana
    Fill a thermos with hot water. Just put the end in for a minute or so.

either the thermos, or buy a tubing tool but they are VERY expensive but they make it so easy to do, but being new to tubing i dont think you would want to spend the money. to get the loop tight. make i as small as possible with some slack and then put the tubing on the fitting and slide the end ring up the tubing to make it tight.

spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

the chinese fingers are for mainline installation (and are not necessary).

If you use the Thermos method, it works better if you only dip the last inch of tubing in the hot water. I also use a Bic lighter to lightly heat up the last inch of tubing then quickly make you connection.

for the bottom end, you can wrap a piece of cord around your lowest fitting and tie it off to a tree to maintain tension on the line. Or, if your fittings have a hole in them , you can use electric fence wire to tie off, and maintain tension. Use a piece of scrap tubing to protect the tree from wire damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Yana Frank View Post
    Hi!

I am hoping to tap trees for the first time and was hoping for a little bit of advice.

I have only about 15 trees, on a steep (north facing) slope and it was recommended to me to use all 5/16 lines, even for mainline. At the end of the line I want to put a 55 gallon plastic barrel. I bought a fitting for the end tree to loop tube around it - but I can't figure out how to attach it to the tree without is sliding down? For this short (100-150') steep run do I need to get steel cable or can I just stretch the 5/16 tubing tight? And how do I do that? I was reading posts mentioning "chinese fingers" and "end rings" but don't know what that means. Does anybody have any photos or diagrams of this?

Thanks so very much for taking the time to help me as I am trying to figure this out, I just bought land and am SO excited about the sugaring but also realize there is a big learning curve...

Thank you!

Yana
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

Thanks so much you guys. This has been hugely helpful! Happy syruping to you!

You could also use 1/4 hollow core rope on the end at barrel. Hollow core rope cane be bought at many hardware stores. Work some of it over the 5/16 tubing kind of like using the "chinese fingers" . start working the tubing in 6" from end of rope and then 6" or so over the rope over tubing and the the long end can be tired to whatever tree is around to let the end of tubing reach your barrel.

+ Reply to Thread