+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finished up this evening

Default Finished up this evening

Well, this is the end of my second tapping season...It's been a learning curve all the way.

I boiled down about 15 gallons of sap (4 taps) on a BBQ grill with propane...that will NOT happen next year...

I'm already searching for plans/pictures of homemade evaporators using wood!

My main question is, when is the best time to filter? When you first collect or at the end just before you bottle???

Thanks...this forum is a great source of information...

Quote Originally Posted by hershey View Post
    My main question is, when is the best time to filter? When you first collect or at the end just before you bottle???
    Yes, that is correct
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Quote Originally Posted by hershey View Post
    Well, this is the end of my second tapping season...It's been a learning curve all the way.

I boiled down about 15 gallons of sap (4 taps) on a BBQ grill with propane...that will NOT happen next year...

I'm already searching for plans/pictures of homemade evaporators using wood!

Thanks...this forum is a great source of information...
    Hi, Hershey. The way I did it was, heat the syrup to boiling, check to see that it is syrup with a hydrometer. If it checks as syrup, than filter. The trick that I learned is after you filter your syrup don't get it any hotter than 190 degrees or niter will form and make a deposit in your jars. So, filter it and heat your jars up in almost boiling water and than pour in your 180 degree syrup. Put on the lids tight and invert the jars for a few min. so that the hot syrup sterilizes the lids on the inside. Turn them right side up and wait for them to cool. If you are using Mason jars the lid will pop and show that it has sealed.

Good luck, sounds like you are hooked. Wood is much more fun than propane.
    2011 19 taps, 5 gallons of syrup
    Moved from turkey fryers to barrel stove.
    A copy of the North American Maple Manual.
    "2012 in the book" 85 taps, new 24"X60" rig 5" drop flue, made 15 gallons
    2013 75 buckets and bags, 50 taps on tubing= 32.6875 gallons in glass.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...%20rig%202011/

+ Reply to Thread