+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1st season with a filter press

Default 1st season with a filter press

I have lots to learn about using this but this is my question. Once I run it through through the filter press and get it in bulk containers do i have to filter it again when I heat it up and bottle it in glass. How can I be sure it's going to be clear? (which is why I got the press). Thanks
    BENT HILL SUGAR WORKS
    1000 TAPS ON VACCUM
    3x10 LEADER INFERNO ARCH
    REVOLUTION PANS
    CARLIN 701 OIL BURNER
    RO - ??

Once the syrup has been filtered there is no need to refilter. However, before bottling the syrup from a bulk container you do need to reheat the syrup to 180* so the lids on the bottles will seal properly.

Same as Randle but don't bring it to high in temp, I don't go much over 195* if it boils you'll get sugar sand. You're going to be real happy with the way your syrup looks, and don't hide it in cans or plastic.
    400 pails
    CDL RO machine
    2x8 stainless Dallaire evaporator, wood fired
    Filter press
    Polaris 6x6 & 4x4
    Allis Chalmers WD
    Allis Chalmers G
    Built new 24' x 40' shack in 2006
    http://www.blsugarbush.com

You should refilter whenever you reheat to package ! Nitre will seperate , even though you didn't bring the syrup to a boil . If you are packing in anything but glass you could probably get away with not refiltering . Your density wants to be right on for glass too , or you will see sugar crystals in the bottom after a while , if it's the least bit heavy . Of course we all know what happens when it's light , it spoils !
    If it were easy , everyone would be doing it !!!

In my experience if you reheat with a water jacket, nice even heat, no new niter forms and you will be OK. If you heat with direct heat, on a stove or flame, you may need to refilter.

We are about to start our first year with a filter press from Daryl. Our first practice run with last years syrup ( with some sediment) worked great. Absolutely clear.

We will draw off a bit heavy through a pre filter, then run through the press into our water jacket bottler right away while still hot, bring back up to 185 with the water jacket, tweak density with water and bottle without letting it ever really cool down.
    Last edited by RileySugarbush; 02-21-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

I agree wholeheartedly with the method John suggests. We do the same. Off the evaporator over density, pre-filter at the draw off,
    through the filter press and into the water-jacket canner. Zero nitre in the botttles. You can't keep it hot enough going through a filter press to make sanitary canning. If you use a single layer pan/pot as a canner, the bottom will get to hot and you'll make more nitre. Not much, but you'll see a little on the bottom of the bottles. Once we get it in the water-jacket canner, we add a bit of distilled water to get the exact density we want. With 5 to 10 gallons in the canner it takes very little water to adjust the density. We never needed more than a cup per lot. It's much easier to control in the canner than it is in the sryup pan.

+ Reply to Thread