+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much syrup for pancake breakfast?

Default How much syrup for pancake breakfast?

How much syrup do you figure for a pancake breakfast? As in x gallons for y number of expected people.

Also, any idea how much pancake batter to figure?

Thanks for any info!
    ~~~~~~
    Beth

Dad boiled when I was a kid; I helped haul wood & sap, & taste test.

2011: 6 taps, full size hotel pan, turkey fryer: 3 gallons + 7 pints.

2012: 80 taps, 105K & 210K BTU propane burners, 2 double size hotel pans. Dad says he won't need to come help 'cause "there won't be anything to do if there's no wood to chuck in.": ~25 gallons.

2013: 55 taps, 28 gallons; same burners/pans as last year.

I do custom cakes: www.bethscakes.bravehost.com

I've never even entertained an idea this large. That said, this catering site suggests 3- 5" pancakes per serving or 1/2 C flour, I'll assume that 1/2 cup means dry mix.

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/bfast100.html

If you're going to use a mix you could also go by what the label says about portion size. For instance, a 32 0z box of Aunt Jemima makes 19 servings of 4- 4 inch pancakes per their label. Hopefully you can use those as a basic guide.

As far as syrup, I'd say at least a TBL of syrup/ 4 " pancake which means at least 1/4 cup per serving of 3 or 4 pancakes. A gallon of syrup should serve a little more than 60 people at that rate. If you have real syrup lovers you'll likely need to plan on even more. The above site says 1-2 gallons/100 people. I'd say 2 gallons will be closer to what's used as a tablespoon of syrup/pancake isn't much.

Now just thinking out loud here..... Will it be all you can eat? If so, then I think you're going to need to plan for larger portions/person. I'd also want to decide how you're going to serve the syrup. In jugs on the table may see people using and possibly wasting a lot more than if they were given a portioned amount in a cup when served.

Hope something's helpful for you here and if not, then I hope someone that's run a big pancake breakfast chimes in to help you out. Best wishes for a successful event!

I use 1/2 - 1 cup of syrup on my pancakes. I REALLY like syrup. Anyway, that's only 16-32 servings per gallon.
    Mark
    2010 8 taps on 3gal buckets
    2011 20 taps on 5gal buckets
    55gal home made collection tank
    20gal ss stock pot w/ turkey fryers
    2012 40-50 taps on 5gal buckets
    250-275gal collection tank on back of truck
    ANYTHING different to boil on.

Hee hee, I'm with you, Mark. I really like a little pancake with my syrup as well. But I figure most people aren't like that.

Happy thoughts, thanks for the calculations and the wishes! It's not an event I'd be throwing, but I am tapping the maples at a nearby church as a please and thank you arrangement only. But it's a small church, and if the season is a good one, I'd like to expand my thank you to enough syrup for a pancake breakfast for them. I have a neighbor with a contact for pancake mix (he's related to the Carbon family). I don't want to be stingy, but don't want to give too much away, as I need the income from the syrup this year.
    ~~~~~~
    Beth

Dad boiled when I was a kid; I helped haul wood & sap, & taste test.

2011: 6 taps, full size hotel pan, turkey fryer: 3 gallons + 7 pints.

2012: 80 taps, 105K & 210K BTU propane burners, 2 double size hotel pans. Dad says he won't need to come help 'cause "there won't be anything to do if there's no wood to chuck in.": ~25 gallons.

2013: 55 taps, 28 gallons; same burners/pans as last year.

I do custom cakes: www.bethscakes.bravehost.com

At one time, I was considering donating syrup to the local Boy Scouts for their pancake breakfast. I figured 3 oz per pancake serving (about one nip). There are 128 oz in a gallon, so about 42 servings per gallon. I also know there there are some people, as surprising as it sounds, that don't like the taste of pure maple syrup - probably 10% of the population at a pancake breakfast. So, I figure a gallon would be good for 50 people.
    -----------------------
    Bill Smith (Papa Smiff)
    • Hoping to build 2x4 with AOF & AUF
    • Looking for trees to tap in my suburban wasteland
    Hopes for 2014: Talk to neighbors about tapping trees behind their houses, and nearby roadside trees.

Hi Beth, Don't forget the butter! The real kind, not the imitation stuff. If you're going to treat everyone to real syrup you might as well go for broke

If you have a good idea of the # coming then that should be easier to plan ahead. I'd plan on double servings for the men and normal servings for the women and kids with a couple of extra servings thrown in to be safe. Whatever portion size you decide on for syrup, just multiply that by the # of pancake servings you're making to come up with the ozs needed. I'd say 1/4 cup (2 oz) would be the minimum serving size. When I make family breakfast for 4 adults and 2 young school age kids we use about a pint of syrup, unless the kids pour the syrup, lol. Anyway, with a small crowd you could set out several small pitchers for all to share. Heating it up before serving is a nice touch.

Again, good luck and wishing you all the best

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmiff View Post
    I figured 3 oz per pancake serving (about one nip).
    That sounds about right to me.

+ Reply to Thread