+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 @ Greyfox Farm

Thanks Keith, I may have to give that a try. I know the folks at Sunnyside; nice people.

I checked my records for last year, which was the first year I tapped, and this bush netted 7.6 GPT for the season. I'm currently at 2.2 GPT. I'm just abut where I was at this time last year, but I'm concerned that they may be healing already. This woods was logged off about 40 years ago so my trees are on the smallish size which I'm sure is a factor as well. I'll give it today with the temp in the 50's and see what happens. Of the 10 I tapped last evening eight ran and two are still dry this morning. We had a light freeze here last night (30.6 at 4:00 A.M.) so time will tell if they run strong today. Around noon I'll light it up and boil down what I have and hopefully it'll be running as I go. Good luck to you.
    Wood-fired, home-made evaporator
    Glenlivet-fired operator

I got a half-hearted attempt at a run yesterday. Got enough to make a day of it boiling. Making DA now. Odd, but some of the new taps ran about 1/2 GPT and some were absolutely dry. There was no rhyme or reason that I could isolate. It was either/or, nothing in between. The weather for Saturday through Monday looks great, then who knows. I'm enjoying it while it lasts.
    Glenlivet-fired operator

I worked half a day this morning so I got into the woods around 3:00 this afternoon and was greeted by the first real run of the season. The 20 taps on the half-inch gravity main line were drumming away steadily to the tune of about a gallon an hour and a couple of the newly tapped trees were pouring out even better than that. I boiled off what I had and netted a surprisingly light and buttery syrup. If only this season won't fall prey to the dismal forecast for next week...........
    Glenlivet-fired operator

The forecast beyond tomorrow looks dismal, but I'm living in the present, and the present is all good! Today the Sap Goddess shined her sunny countenance upon me and returned the first REAL run of the season. I have buckets-full in inventory now and the run rolls on, AND I'm off tomorrow so I can get a good night's sleep and crunch through it all day tomorrow. A day all alone in the sugarwoods; well, not alone, I'll have a 12-pack and a bottle of McClelland to keep me company, but it still beats the real job. Hope the rest of you gets this one last shot as well. Good luck all.

Doc
    Glenlivet-fired operator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12