+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Tapped Yet?

I'm just south of green bay and I tapped 45 of my 200 taps. The flow has been steadily slow, will collect this weekend and hopefully boil.
    2010 - 15 Taps and an open fire made 2.5 gallons
    2011 - New 14X10 sugar shack, 125 taps
    homemade 2x4 oil drum evap with a Wegner Metal Works pan
    three wonderful sap haulers (kids) and a wife that's very understanding

The forcast looks like we could get a few sap days in the next 10. Not a good reason to tap.
    I will be starting next week though, as it takes me about a week or 2 to tap and get the vacuum tight.

It may be interesting, with the return of winter to Wisc when we want to get into the woods. As this weather pushes the real runs off to a later date, it makes me want to be ready. We may have a short season this year, so when the time is right, we need to be ready.
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

We haven't tapped yet... And glad we didn't. We've never tapped in FEB. and don't see any reason to do it this year.
    Tim Sternitzky
    Sternitzky Specialty Foods LLC
    www.themapledude.com

Default totally on stand down time

Just watching and waiting looking for the first 40+ temps to be forecasted and then start 6-7 days before that time. As of now nothing is on the horizon on any forecast i looked at. Except plenty of snow chances, which in a way i don't mind except for the harder tapping conditions. The hardest thing to swallow looks like the gas/diesel prices we will see at prime time syrup season. Have to get thrifty and stay over alot more at the hunting shack/sugar shack then driveing home. (34 miles).

We put in 54 taps Sat. morning and will check them today. There was no frost in the ground. Maybe should have tapped earlier. Will put 125 more in this week. Need to get the pans and sap tank hooked up today. May be boiling this weekend.
    Pete, did you tap yet?
    Last edited by WI Sugarpop; 02-27-2012 at 06:06 AM.
    150 on 3/16 gravity 2018 and 120 sap sacks
    14 x 20 sugar shack
    2014 New custom 2x6 arch "The Firestorm" w/ preheater, AUF & AOF
    Smokey Lake pans and water jacket bottler
    2024 new 2x8 set of drop flue pans and hood from Smoky Lake. Lengthen our arch.
    Just a hobby but seems like more work every
    year
    3 generations working together
    Wife that guards our syrup
    43.74° N

I put out all my south facing taps last week. Got about 0.5 to 1.0 gallons per tap per day until Saturday and then everything shut down. Too much wind... Hoping things settle down a bit today so the sap can start running again.
    Homemade 2X4 w/Flat Pan
    50 taps....but always looking to expand
    Mostly box elders with a scattering of red, silver, & sugar maples
    Allis Chalmers C & Homemade Sap Sled

Just checked the taps and it looks like we got a gal. per tap yesterday afternoon. Should have had all are taps in on Sat. I guess you never know for sure.
    150 on 3/16 gravity 2018 and 120 sap sacks
    14 x 20 sugar shack
    2014 New custom 2x6 arch "The Firestorm" w/ preheater, AUF & AOF
    Smokey Lake pans and water jacket bottler
    2024 new 2x8 set of drop flue pans and hood from Smoky Lake. Lengthen our arch.
    Just a hobby but seems like more work every
    year
    3 generations working together
    Wife that guards our syrup
    43.74° N

Just collected (SE Brown County). We got about 50 gallons since Thursday. Glad we were in. Collected about 100 gallons total this year. Glad we were in the past two weeks...it was a nice little early run. Now a slow down until next week from the looks of things.
    LedgeRock Maple Syrup
    45 taps in 2012
    2x4 Wes Fab in 2011 (open flame and and 2x4 pan on cinder blocks prior)
    5 Acres in Southern Brown County

We got 50 tests in one bush and all put out about a gallon while we were there. checked the tests in our main bush that went in yesterday morning and all bags were full. Helped a buddy put in 600 before dark, then came home and put 600 more bags together. 12 hour shift in the ER tomorrow then gonna put all 700 in on Weds in the snow. I woulda tapped 2 weeks ago but didnt have the new evaporator yet. Also got 90 more taps in a yard just up the road that I looked at on sunday. The shiny new girl is in and we should have a few hundred gallons to boil on friday.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Default tapping workout very soon

Just finished watching the local extended forecast and looks like next Tuesday the warmup comes for our part of the state. Called my brothers and looks like Friday I will start tapping and this weekend all 3 of us will, so alot of holes will be drilled. By Monday hope all the pipeline will be tapped that i can get it tight by Wednesday, and then the following weekend (10th and 11th) 1600 bags will go in. Lots of snow forecasted for our region, seems we r in the bullseye. Up to 10 inches maybe more. With the 12 we have in the woods, looks like we will have plenty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast