+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Tapped Yet?

I really am hoping that it holds out up here until around St. Patty's day. Those April runs are too much fun to miss. I have all reds so timing is a big factor. I too am watching 3 long range forecasts. Accuweather, Intellicast and NOAA. It amazes me how they can be so different. Holding out for a few weeks way up here in Bayfield Co.

Holding off till hopefully 1st week of march to start tapping. Maples we are thinning as we log are not getting wet at all. (Lincoln county) This weekend is our wash and get everything ready time, sounds like cooler temps but sunshine for the weekend.

Southeast Sawyer Co. here. I'm holding off yet, but I think I'll put out a few test taps next week late. This weather sure gives you the bug to get out and get going. I'm going out today to cut up some trees for 2 years from now for boiling. If any sap is running I'll see it on the stumps. Good luck everyone!!!
    400 pails
    CDL RO machine
    2x8 stainless Dallaire evaporator, wood fired
    Filter press
    Polaris 6x6 & 4x4
    Allis Chalmers WD
    Allis Chalmers G
    Built new 24' x 40' shack in 2006
    http://www.blsugarbush.com

Put out 3 test taps last night @ 5pm and all were drippin here in Amherst. Forecast shows perfect temps for next 10 days. Going to put out 50 more tonight and see what happens. Hope to be cookin soon!

I know it's tempting... but it's still early. If you go to accuweather's 15 day forecast by next weekend they have high temps well below freezing thru the end of the month. It is a little way off but that trend is probably accurate. I holding off for a bit yet.
    Tim Sternitzky
    Sternitzky Specialty Foods LLC
    www.themapledude.com

Well we pulled over 100 gallons of sap off of what we tapped yesterday, buckets were overflowing this morning. Looking forward to a bit of a cool down so we can catch up a bit. Happy Tapping
    2011 1st Year 16 Gallons on 2x4 cement block boiler.
    2012 Maple Addicts Anonymous
    upgraded to homemade 275 gallon oil tank evaporator.
    May the sap run well!!

anyone in maine taped yet, its a weird winter minimal snow. high 30's during the day and teens at night ?

I have red maples on a south facing slope in west-central WI. There is no snow on the ground and minimal frost. I think I will commence tapping this weekend as the reds always bud out by early April and likely earlier than that this year.

WBAY channel 2 was at Blasers Acres in Suamico on the 4 oclock news, they tapped in today and some of the buckets looked very full.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Too warm today and yesterday to not think about tappin'. Me and Ma agreed that this weekend them maples is gonna get it,.............. regardless!
    Badgerland 2x6 drop flue to fire in 2015
    Sugar Shack functional 2013.
    Home Comfort wood cook for pancake sampling.
    Hoping to grow the operation in 2017-18

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast