+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boiling temp of syrup

Enfield Tractor Supply sells hydrometers & cups. $19.99 Each
    2011, 1st time. 8 taps, turkey fryer. 3 quarts syrup
    2012, 25? taps, homemade barrel stove, steam pan. hoping 3 to 5 gallons

THanks Nathan,

I live in shelton, a not to far, i guess...since im new to this i would appreciate any help, what time tomorrow would be best to call?
    Shelton Connecticut sugar maker

here is the type you want - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maple-Syrup-...#ht_500wt_1271
    you also need a hydrometer cup or something to read the hyd in, tall and thin so it does not take too much syrup to test, needs to be around 9" tall i think,
    here is a set, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maple-Syrup-...#ht_500wt_1271

Thanks alot for the leg work, im going to order now... thanks agin
    Shelton Connecticut sugar maker

The precise temperate at which you make syrup is like looking for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. We've gone through perhaps a dozen thermometers. Dial types, digitals and those built into auto-draw offs. Put 5 in a pot of boiling water and you'll get 5 different readings. Even the digital one the Leader sells has poor "stated accuracy". Boil some water in the kitchen, put your thermometer in at the same immersion depth as you'll have in the syrup pan, go to the sugar shack and boil to 7.2 degrees more than that and you should get the desired result.

And yes .... you can NOT filter syrup in a coffee filter. It won't go through. If you're doing small batches, just about any filter media will hold to much of your precious syrup.
    Just set it asside and let it settle. If you pour a bit of sand on a pancake, you'll never notice it.

Keep in mind that the boiling point changes with the barometeric pressure. If the pressure changes, so does the boiling point.
    We have the digital meter that gives the pressure and boiling point. We check it a few times durring the cook down to get consistant results.

Keep in mind that the pressure INSIDE your closed house will differ from outside. A bathroom fan and stove exhause fan drawing on the house, fireplace or forced central air... these can all change the pressure inside your closed building.

We use a digital refractometer... Most of the "brewers floats" and manual refractometers require the sample to cool to be read.
    The issue is that your bulk evaporator moves way to fast! By the time you get a reading its not current for whats in your pan.

Draw off close to finished and then use a finishing pan or cauldron/kettle, it should slow down the process and allow you to fine tune your finished product.

We have the digital refractometer, its worth the expense if you want consistant results. It works hot or cold!!! Watch the thermometer (Average the temp around the pan) then start checking the digital brix meter.
    Last edited by Maple Hobo; 02-18-2012 at 09:47 PM.

No pun intended but if you start with 5 gallons of sap you only have enough syrup for one breakfast. When it reads about 220 then pull it off. Dont worry about it not being real clear. Your taste buds will never see it. Let it set on the counter for a day or two at room temp and then dont shake it up for breakfast. I think a lot of syrup is lost in filtering and such. I have made syrup for about 5 or 6 years and bought me a hydrometer today. Good luck.

Default Filtering

I filter my syrup thru felt I pick up at the local sewing shop. I can get 2 square yards for about $5 and that lasts me the season

Hey CT - This has already been mentioned. But - Buy a "Syrup Hydrometer" and buy or make a test cup to go with it. I have made a lot of maple syrup with just a syrup hydrometer and it always comes out. When I started - I tried many different thermometers - and made low quality (thin) maple syrup. I ordered mine from Leader Evaporator Co. as we have no stores that sell maple syrup making gear in my part of Michigan. Always filter Your maple syrup hot as cold maple syrup will plug your filter medium - right now. No matter what I would mention - to use as a filter - I would be corrected numerous times by my fellow syrup makers - lol. Use common sense for your filter - I guess. -- That said - I filter my sap going into my storage barrels. I filter my syrup when I draw it off my evaporator and I filter it again when I finish it - prior to canning. As already stated - After sitting or stored for awhile - any nitre (sugar sand) in your maple syrup will settle on the bottom. Just decante your syrup into another container when you use and leave the nitre behind in the canning jar or bottle and rinse down the drain. Hey! Have Fun making maple syrup.
    Mike
    2x5 F.O. Tank Arch/Wood Fired
    2x5 Mark/Josh Custom Pans
    12 x 14 Sugar Shack
    55 Sure Taps - 100 Unsure Taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12