+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boiling temp of syrup

Default Boiling temp of syrup

hey all, i got a simple question.... when you boil down the sap lets say 5 gals, and it reduces to not much, at that point when the temp hits 219-220 F deg. does that always mean that you have syrup? at that point? ... or do you also have to get the correct thickness also. im boiling my 3rd batch, and im trying to figure out at what point it i have syrup... and im boiling it right now!, nothing like asking last minute
    Shelton Connecticut sugar maker

I'm new at this but you seem to be in a bind, so I'll tell you that I understand it to be at 7.2* above boiling point. So you need to boil water and see what the boiling point is currently due to atmospheric pressure. Once you determine what boiling point is, add 7.2* and that is the boiling point of the syrup. If you're too high, thin it with sap. I prefer a hydrometer. It's more accurate to me.

Once it hits the 219-220 then you are good to go. The best way to check is with a refractometer though. The weather and your elevation can effect the temp at which it boils. I would say though if you read 220 you are all set.
    2011-8 Taps on a very crude block arch
    2012- 38 taps 2 X 3 with blower.
    2013- 70 taps total-50 on tubing, 20 on buckets
    2014- 75 taps- Low vacuum, 2X4 drop flue
    2015- 100 taps-2X6 Mason Drop Tube, low vac
    2016-115 taps high vac, 60 taps buckets
    14X20 post and beam shack with attached 10X14 wood shed
    12 beehives and an avid waterfowl hunter.
    Wishing I can quit my day job, keep bees, farm, and make syrup!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moshe...40072296064422

that is the temp. that it is syrup is finished at. with the different pressure in the air the densitys will change. thats why you should have a hydrometer.

spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

thanks, so it hit 220, then i took it off heat, i read that it should be filtered to reduce cloudiness when it cool, also read to use a coffee filter, just tried it and it seem that the filter got stopped up with syrup... is there a filter that i should be using? btw it taste awesome!!! so i must be getting close... thanks again its fun to be a greenhorn again

Quote Originally Posted by Starting Small View Post
    Once it hits the 219-220 then you are good to go. The best way to check is with a refractometer though. The weather and your elevation can effect the temp at which it boils. I would say though if you read 220 you are all set.
    Don't go by this!

The temp for 66 brix is 7.1 degrees F over the boiling point of water. The boiling point will possibly change every hour, also 1 thermometers can read different than the next that is why you must check with boiling water. Your best bet is to get close with a thermometer then check for density with a hydrometer(best $15 you will ever spend).
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

I will disagree that the best way to check is with a refractometer. I have watched guys boiling raw sap on a 2x3 and guys drawing 100 gallons/hour on a 6x16. All used a hydrometer. Refractometer takes too long to read and cost way too much. I read the other day about a new one that will compensate temp and take 1 minute to get an accurate reading. That is too long when you are drawing syrup.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I don't think that syrup would ever filter through a coffee filter. If you don't have a syrup filter I would just let it settle out then slowly cant it off. It won't get as clear as filtered but will still taste good.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

ok so i need a hydrometer? where and which one should i get?

and where and what kind of filter should i get?

thanks again

I live in Killingworth Ct if you live close give me a call and I can help with filters.

Nathan
    860-604-8115

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast