+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Year off

Default Year off

Decided not to sugar this year.. To much other stuff going on...weather?????????? plus made enough last yr that i have plenty still on hand.

Good luck to everyone else!
    2018; 3 taps
    20"x24"syrup pan on blocks
    Turkey frier to finish.
    Western NH

Good Luck with that Idea Bill. Sounds like You are trying to be Practical. - LOL - As You know - Backyarders don't have a Practical bone in their body - if they did they would just go to some commercial maple syrup maker and buy a gallon. Yep - about five years ago - I had about 10 gallons of Maple Syrup on hand - people I give it to had enough - so - I said the heck with it and skipped a year. That year was a long one - I was miserable and something important was missing in my life......I discovered I made maple syrup for me and no one else - it put me at peace with myself and good for the soul. The maple syrup itself I give away and eat some. -- But -- it is the making of Maple Syrup that is important - cause it makes me feel good about myself.....and puts me in touch with nature and God. Other then a lot of hard work --- everything else connected with maple syrup making is good.................Just my thoughts........Hope to hear from You again next year Bill and find out about your year of being practical ----smile -- Best of Luck ----Mike-

Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    Good Luck with that Idea Bill. Sounds like You are trying to be Practical. - LOL - As You know - Backyarders don't have a Practical bone in their body - if they did they would just go to some commercial maple syrup maker and buy a gallon. Yep - about five years ago - I had about 10 gallons of Maple Syrup on hand - people I give it to had enough - so - I said the heck with it and skipped a year. That year was a long one - I was miserable and something important was missing in my life......I discovered I made maple syrup for me and no one else - it put me at peace with myself and good for the soul. The maple syrup itself I give away and eat some. -- But -- it is the making of Maple Syrup that is important - cause it makes me feel good about myself.....and puts me in touch with nature and God. Other then a lot of hard work --- everything else connected with maple syrup making is good.................Just my thoughts........Hope to hear from You again next year Bill and find out about your year of being practical ----smile -- Best of Luck ----Mike-
    With just one year of sugaring under my belt, I have to say that I completely understand what you are saying Mike. Now, right after the season, I don't want to think maple or anything maple! It's just a much needed break at that time. But to not be gettin' all keyed up and rarin' to go at this time of year, would feel like something was missing! Very well said Mike! I hope Bill has no regrets.

Enough other sugarer's(sp?) around i can visit/help, that i'll still be around.
    Just don't have the get up n go to do my own this yr. Plus would need to be done by mid march as we will be headed south for vaca..
    Way winter has been..will be interesting how season goes.
    2018; 3 taps
    20"x24"syrup pan on blocks
    Turkey frier to finish.
    Western NH

Quote Originally Posted by Bill'sSugarShack View Post
    Decided not to sugar this year.. To much other stuff going on...weather?????????? plus made enough last yr that i have plenty still on hand.

Good luck to everyone else!
    That's what I am doing this year Bill....a year off....I already visited and boiled with one sugarer from here looking forward to visiting more places. Good luck with next years plans.

Sent from my Awesome Verizon Droid Charge ! Using Tapatalk
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Your welcome to come and visit my little oporation any time you would like, Im not far from you and don't mind visitors

I am almost decided to do the same this year. Wife has gotton sicker then ever and I work almost a 100 hours a week sometimes plus doctors thinks I might need a knee replacement pretty soon if I want to continue pig farming. Have lots left from last year also.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

+ Reply to Thread