+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Year

Default First Year

Well this is our first year trying sugaring and I guess we should have tapped a little sooner in Jan

But on the other hand we have tapped about 22 trees and about 6 are producing about a gallon every 24 hours....I think we will try our homemade evaporator Sat or Sun for the first time.

P:s I can really see why everybody says this thing is addicting!

Quote Originally Posted by Will in Va View Post
    Well this is our first year trying sugaring and I guess we should have tapped a little sooner in Jan

But on the other hand we have tapped about 22 trees and about 6 are producing about a gallon every 24 hours....I think we will try our homemade evaporator Sat or Sun for the first time.

P:s I can really see why everybody says this thing is addicting!
    Howdy Will and welcome to Maple Trader. Yep - Sugarin gets in Your system. Normally in my area We start tapping about 01 March - Do to one of the strangest Winters I can remember - I tapped half my trees on the 03 of February - LOL - today we had about 15F and it snowed all day - looking like Feb. again. Hey - I'm not familiar with Virginia weather - But - keep an eye on your sap - If it is clear like water or even a little dark it is ok - but - if it looks pee yellow - dump it. Now that might just happen for a day or so on some of your trees and if it gets clear again ok to use. Eventually the buds will swell and it will go yellow and stay that way and were all done for the year. As far as sap amounts - it will vary - tree to tree - day to day. You may get a few days where everything is flowing like mad and ya can't keep up with the pails.. So don't give it up yet. Make lots of great maple syrup. ---Mike---

Hi Will Welcome Where are you in Va.

Hey wvsugarshak thanks for the welcome.

We are down by lexington VA.

Ausable,

Thanks for the advice, so far we have boiled off about 45 gallons and made just about a gallon of syrup....We thought the season was over last Saturday but as of last night we got another 16 gallons of sap! ....and it looks like today should maybe be a good flow day(fingers crossed!).

I need to post pics of our homemade evaporator in the forum for that. We have been getting about 4 gallons an hour evap rate but I think we could pick up a gallon or two with a preheater pan.

Thanks you both this is a great web site!

Default Looks like the end.

With the hot temps called for this week looks like the end. but the trees will call the shots. just dont like cooking when it s mid 60's best of luck!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Will in Va View Post
    Hey wvsugarshak thanks for the welcome.

We are down by lexington VA.

Ausable,

Thanks for the advice, so far we have boiled off about 45 gallons and made just about a gallon of syrup....We thought the season was over last Saturday but as of last night we got another 16 gallons of sap! ....and it looks like today should maybe be a good flow day(fingers crossed!).

I need to post pics of our homemade evaporator in the forum for that. We have been getting about 4 gallons an hour evap rate but I think we could pick up a gallon or two with a preheater pan.

Thanks you both this is a great web site!

+ Reply to Thread