+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bucket cleaning

Default bucket cleaning

what do you guys use to clean your buckets? brush and hand or do any of you have a bucket washer? i am looking at cleaning my buckets,about 400, and wondering if there is a better way to do it. also is there a brush made specifically for 2-gallon aluminum buckets. i have a gas powered pressure washer and may just use this.
    2008 700 ranger xp sap hauler/45 hp 4x4 tractor/028 super stihl
    2x4 mason hobby/blower/new for 2014 smoky lake hybrid pan
    2014 300ish buckets and still need bigger evaporator/14 x 20 square log shack
    2015 2x6 drop flue phaneuf approx. 325 buckets, 1 year older, not sure about the smarter part ?
    gets expensive in a hurry!!

ok so i should have looked up this before i posted. my problem is i can't pyramid stack them to dry, with the wind we have in western ny i would chasing down buckets for a week. looks like i have good full day of washing and drying ahead of me.
    2015 2x6 drop flue phaneuf approx. 325 buckets, 1 year older, not sure about the smarter part ?

I have seen brushes for cleaning buckets at maple supply stores. Run about $70. I assume you put the brush on a cordless drill or dream up some type of bucket washer with a basin and motor. The power washer sounds like a very wet proposition.

There is a bucket brush available. I chuck mine in a CORDLESS drill. I use big plastic bins for soapy water, and my hose to rinse. One kid tosses them in the water, I spin the brush and rinse, toss it to a second kid who lines them up on the grass.

Neoprene gloves are great for this job.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

I just looked at a bucket brush today at Leader and the want $103.00. Needless to say its still sitting on their shelf. I'll be washing mine by hand with a $4.00 hand brush.

I have a bucket washer. The key to washing buckets is do it at the end of the season so they are clean when you want to use them, not at the beginning of the season.

i wound up washing my buckets, with lots of help, in my bathroom using 2- totes as wash tubes and the shower to rinse them, it was a rather wet proposition. i used dish detergent and a "magic pad" like the mr. clean ones, it worked very well. i will second the opinion that you really need to wash at the end of the season, i "forgot" to last year with some of my buckets and thre was alot more scrubbing involved in them. that will not happen again this year.

I have a few stock tanks for the job, soap, bleach, rinse. I adapted the rinse tank drain plug to accept a garden hose and leave the hose on a smidge, just let the water flow over the top of the tank. That keeps the rinse water fresh and the hose doesn’t splash mud and debris all over everything.

Like others, with as relatively few buckets as I have, I can’t justify a bucket washer. Just use a brush and the reluctant help of my wife (perhaps the kids if I can hornswoggle them into being there on bucket cleaning day).

Takes me forever to clean buckets, not so much to get them clean, but get them dry before storage. I have a 4x6 flat bed trailer I set them on (I’m still a muddy mess around here at season’s end), first upside down, then right side up to drain the lip around the top of the bucket. Complete pain-in-the-rump this way, can’t get ‘em all done at once, lids all over the place. Was thinking of maybe putting an A frame on that trailer to maximize space, but I’m certainly open to any suggestions that may fall out of this thread.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

I've found that the best way to get clean buckets is to have someone else do it. I figure the kids need to work their way up to bigger and more exciting jobs, once they've experienced the fun of washing buckets Gotta start somewhere. It can also be a fun activity....

IMG_0197.jpg

Last year I dried my buckets by placing some of them on the lean to roof off the side of the sugarhouse. Sun dried them pretty quick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast