+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can syrup sit a while before bottling?

Thats funny I just did this for the fires time and it worked GREAT! I use old 1 gallon glass wine jugs.( drink the wine first
    27 x 66 homemade arch
    10 taps 2008
    200+taps 2012 (180 will be SS)
    5 years and going strong and looking to get bigger

2005 John Deer Gator w/a trailor and 130 tank

www.facebook.com/blackstonevalleysugaring
    http://www.blackstonevalleysugaring.org/

You don't put the pre filter in the orlon do you? Just keep the filters separate right? Does it go throught the filters any faster by letting the dregs settle out?

What I am useing is widemouth pickle jars that I have saved over the years ...when I draw off the jar has been preheated a little with some hot sap... the jar sits in a bucket ..I broke my first jar last season but I lost half cup of syrup only... mabe I forgot to preheat the jar...I will let the syrup sit for a few days.. then I use a thick bottom stock pot on a turkey fryer...I have a big coffee pot with a cone type orlon filer clamped up off the bottom lined with 3-4 prefilters...this is just my way of doing it and you dont have to use glass jars for holding syrup...its just what I have...

I just have a small hobby filter that uses felt laying in a basket with several prefilters. By the time the syrup runs through the filters it's nowhere near warm enough to bottle. I don't know much about filter presses but I assume you must have one if you can heat to 180 and bottle after running it through a filter again without it cooling off? I have only bottled a couple times but I run it through the filter after finishing then reheat to 180-190 and bottle. I like the idea of filtering right before it goes into the bottle but how can you keep it hot enough?
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

Be careful how many times you have to heat the syrup up. It will evap and you might overshoot the brix level and end up with chrystals in your bottles.

Figure out how many points your set up moves from cold after the evaporator, reheated in the finish pan and filtered then reheated in the canner.

If you get too high on the brix scale... add in some hot "almost" finished syrup from your eveporator... try not to add water like some people do, it can add minerals from your well or city treated water.

I am useing the qart jugs with heat actvaited sealing cap..I do 5 qt batches at a time and get two batches done with one orlon filter..the coffee pot is hot and if I have a little left over ot goes back in and gets reheated/refiltered... most of the time there is not much left over if you measure before hand ..yes it does cool down some ..I had temp tested the last qt and it was 175 ..if your filter is plugged it will take forever to get through and your lossing heat...this is my way ..maybe not for everyone...

Even the instructions for my filters said that if syrup runs through your filters quickly something is not right. If I finish on a turkey fryer - I can filter right after that. From reading other threads I see I may be able to cut my time by dampening the filters. How to avoid heating 1 more time?
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12