+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I guess the weather's to blame...

Default I guess the weather's to blame...

Here in central Virginia, which granted isn't really syrup country, I've had a horrible year so far. To date (since late December) I have only gathered about 3-4 gallons of sap. But by this time last year I had gathered 75 gallons! I only tap around 10 trees so I never expect to get too much. A tree that has historically given a large percentage of my yield has so far not given any this year. The only thing I can think of is that this warm "winter" we're having just isn't letting my get any sap this year. I had so much syrup left over from last year that I gave some out to family for Christmas - but now I'm wishing I hadn't since it doesn't look too promising for much this year. Hopefully winter will return next year (or I suppose there's still a chance for it to arrive this year).

Hope the rest of you are faring better...

Creuzy

Hi I always save back a years supply just for times like these. I started on Jan 6 which is unheard of and still playing the Mother nature game of up and down temp. best of luck

wvsugarshak

Sap flows in January were good up to the 25th. They have been pretty low since then but the temps for the next four or five days look pretty good so I am hopeful. I'm at a little over 10 gallons per tap so no complaints
    but that is half of last years.

We had the biggest snow storm of the winter last night. Tonight I am making mersh,buds are out and 70 degrees forecast for Wednesday. Looks like I will be cleaning tubing this weekend.

+ Reply to Thread