+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Mercer County 2012

Hybrid View

Default Tapping in Mercer County 2012

Started tapping Thursday 2/2 and couldn't resist placing 50 5/16 taps into buckets by Sunday 2/5 on all sugar maples leaving close to another 40 to 50 for later if needed. Today was the first full day with all 50 and got 36 gal but only 1.5%. Cooler weather is coming. Will boil Wednesday PM.

Second year fanatic
    20 x 40 custom pan with dividers and home made steam hood with preheater coil on outdoor masonry "arch".
    McCulloch Eager Beaver leaf blower on idle for over fire air manifolds.
    600 gal Zero tank with transfer pump (lots of room to grow)
    50 5 gal buckets with 5/16 taps and drops.
    Arctic Cat 4 wheeler for sap runs
    Last edited by Springfield Acer; 02-11-2012 at 08:52 PM.

We finished off the two day (one night, one day) boil of our collection and finished off 83 gallon of sap to 1-1/2 gal of lightly colored syrup. What a treat here today with 19* and 20 mph winds! Got it down to 4 gallon outside (pan capacity at regular depth) then finished on propane. No sap to mention since Monday and probably none until late next week.

I like the 10% deal. I'll start ordering today. They say there is no money in maple syrup. But I bet you could be in the black by the time your grandkids retire
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

I may need to have Gary start ordering stuff too! Sounds like a good list you have started Springfield Acer. Maybe add a new 1 ton pick up, several stainless tanks, Candy machine, Cream machine, Candy molds, Several new 20V cordless drills for tapping, More beer for the wet bar.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Randy, you are stepping up! Your own thread also Laura had told me you had tapped, haven't heard much more. Great to hear you have already made syrup. I bet your going to want to move into a building soon. The weather will break soon. Then we will all be playing hooky from work.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

The sap is starting slowly. I got 15 gallon of 2-1/2 % tonight. Hopefully the sugar content will stay up now. Looking forward to warmer temps Thursday and Friday for another boil Saturday.

Thanks for the additional thoughts Chris. You guys here on Maple Trader are real life savers!

just starting tapping my trees today...got busy and behind...do you think its too late?

I've had a steady flow of about 1 gal per tap the last few days on my 50 buckets with tubing. I actually was thinking that yesterday would be a much bigger yield but it was real average. Now I am wondering about the warmth and buds. I'd seen a few comments earlier this week but nothing yesterday or today. As a 2nd year beginner, I'm curious as to what the locals here are seeing and thinking. The reds here are showing some significant bud growth but the sugars seem to be pretty dormant yet. This is one of the reasons that I tapped all sugars this year.
    I've got 150 in the tank and will start boiling again this afternoon. Hopefully the colder weather tomorrow night will buy some more sap flow next week(s)?

A slippery slope in deed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast