+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Hopkinton

Default Tapped in Hopkinton

Got 28 taps on gravity tubing in today. It's my first time using tubing. Next to watching water boil, watching it travel down a little blue tube is pretty exciting. I also got 37 buckets up before it got too close to game time. I hope to get the last buckets up this week to get to 90 or 95 taps this year.

Many thanks to the Saps in Bellingham. The last-minute tubing lesson revolutionized how I went about it!

Let's hope for a good (however early) season!

Sean

It was great having you in Bellingham and we all appreciate the help you gave us. The more the merrier. Glad to hear your lines and buckets are up. I am going to have to stop in on my way to Bellingham one day. take care and happy boiling.

Sap 3

Only averaged about a 1/2 gallon per tap today. Some put out close to a gallon. Others are still waking up. Thought it would be bigger, but hey, it's sap. Didn't test sugar, but it tasted sweet. I'll check it tomorrow.

Looks like the temps are set up for a decent run over the next few days and then it looks like an extended, big chill moves in. Trying to scramble after work to get more taps in this week. Not sure if I have enough buckets. We'll see how it goes. If not, I'll definitely be ready for the next warm up. Hopefully, I'll have enough to light the evap. this weekend.

Sean

Ha Sean good the here you in. I got just about all my taps in and in finished 2 gallons today. And made some candy for the kids and some maple coated walnuts for my mother, so good. I you are looking for some 4 gal buckets I have about 20+ left over. Give me a call if you need some.
    Eli
    27 x 66 homemade arch
    10 taps 2008
    200+taps 2012 (180 will be SS)
    5 years and going strong and looking to get bigger

2005 John Deer Gator w/a trailor and 130 tank

www.facebook.com/blackstonevalleysugaring
    http://www.blackstonevalleysugaring.org/

That's awesome. Two gallons already!

I think I'll take you up on your offer. Ten should do me. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Thanks!

Sean

Wednesday was a small run due to the cold temps, but the other days have been running at a 1/2 gal per tap per day. The big chill didn't show up yet so I got another 25 taps in. I'm up to 89 now. Sugar content is still down around 1.5%. Not good, but not terrible. Hopefully things will pick up. If not, I may put out more taps.

Sweetened the pans Wednesday night. Not a good boil, but it was fun to be back at it. I think my problem was the wood going in was the last wood to come inside this past fall, so it may have been a bit damp. I'll boil again tomorrow morning. If things don't get ripping, the leaf blower is coming out. Then we'll see what this thing can really do!

Sean

hi sean,

what time are you firing up? I was thinking of heading up your way in the AM

phil
    Our 20th year making syrup!

WF Mason 2x6 arch, leader WSE drop flue pans
    2013- 172 on gravity, 17 on buckets
    2014-200 on tubing, 17 on buckets.
    2015-? (still adding more)
    maple syrup makes me happy

That would be great.

I'm hoping to get at it around 6:30, so I can be done before my son's birthday party at 2:30. That should give me plenty of time in case I get a slow boil like the first one. I have enough sap to keep me busy all morning, so you are welcome to come by any time.

Sean

When the trees were giving me no love on Valentine's Day, I figured they were going to make it up to me today with their sweet talkin'.

Nope. Mostly dry buckets and very little from the tubing either. Although a handful of buckets were half full.

After that really hard freeze this weekend, they should have been cranking for the last 24 hours. Something is really off this year.

Sean

lotta sap today....any hints on the quality?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast