+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tapping

Default Anyone tapping

Has any one tapped or thinking about it what do you think about the long term weather report
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

I have been thinking about it but I am not ready.

I tapped 22 a few weeks ago, and boiled some. Today i just tapped the first bush i set up during the summer for 15+ taps. Its all tubing. I tapped them, made some corrections, and the sap poured in. Its only 38 or so, and I didnt expect them to run alot. I also believe I have natural vacuum! I could hear the hissing sound at 2 or3 of the taps, caused by the suction, and the sap was moving fast. I have 37 taps in now, and in a few days i hope to boil again. That bush of 15 has produced 2 gal of sap in the last 1 1/2 hr, while i was working with the lines.
    1150 Taps, one 250GPH RO, one 900GPH RO
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf Deluxe raised flue, with forced air, preheater,and stainless hoods.
    18x50 Sugarhouse
    2002 Cummins Sap Hauler

just looked at the accuweather.com forecast and calling for 5 days in row week after this one. I think a gotta get my stuff ready in a hurry.
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

I have been in the woods the past several weekends running new tubing. The land owner has been out with me trimming and thinning anything he can as I work around the woods. He has cut a number of sugarmaple saplings and a few have weeped a bit of sap. It certainly has been wrm enough some of the days but very little sap from those. I have seen much more past years with sappling cut when we normally tap. I'm still looking at 3rd week in Feb as earliest start for me. We were just above 0 here this morning.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

I put in a test tap yesterday and Sap was running good @ 2%. With the weather the way it is going to be this week, Looks like the first run will happen. Cooling off this weekend. The wife and I will be cleaning the sugar house, cleaning the holding tanks, running water through everything and doing a test boil to try out the new steam hood. I need to add a section to the smoke stack and the taps will go in Sunday.
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.
    A good Wife that enjoys collecting and working in the sugar house.

I am putting in my vac taps Sunday hopefully.

I checked the forecast and it does look good, but not good enough for us yet. If it keeps on warming up slowly it may be at the middle or end of February. If they predict a bunch of days of 40 degrees then we'll tap. That could happen any time soon.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

I think I'll wait a week or two. Here in the foothills it warms up slow in the day. last year was good for some but here on most days it didn't start running till 11:00 am.
    Brian
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

I did hear tonight that one Southern Maine producer with a really early sugarbush is tapping. He is usually 2 weeks earlier than my location and also ends a couple weeks before I do.
    I ordered another bunch of tubing today from F W Webb. Looks like my new sugarbush will be over the 300 taps I estimated.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast