+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Okay nature, I'll bite.

sounds good tithis. I wouldn't turn down the walnuts. They'll probably be a lot easier to shell than the hickories. We had a bumper crop of hickories last year and they gave me a deeper understanding of the phrase "a tough nut to crack" lol. But if you have trees that give a good size nut, they're worth it. I highly recommend trying the maple coated nut recipe you can find elsewhere on this forum.

happy mapling!

My main concern was I've heard black walnuts can be quite bitter, although I'll still probably give them a taste. I was surprised he even had one since we are supposed to be outside its native range. It might have been planted but that must have been quite awhile ago as it's a big tree. You can see it between the first two sugar maples.

I was more interested in the hickory's since after a bit of research I found they are closely related to pecans(my favorite nut). I'll probably give that recipe a go if I collect a decent amount. I've got 4 hickory's to collect from if I wind up doing it.
    2011: 7 norway maples and 1 sugar.(10 taps)
    Photos
    2012: 16 taps, all sugars and reds.
    Photos
    2013: 21 taps

Had a decent run the last few days with the warm weather, probably 3/4gal each day per tap on the good sugar maples (one just doesnt ever seem to give much). The norway's been giving a decent amount and still serving as a good indicator if I should check the other buckets. Reds are as marginal as ever.

I'll probably be doing anouther boil on Friday when the storm's fully passed. It will be nice boiling in the snow again.
    Photos
    Photos

Still need to finish Fridays boil although I'm reluctant to. The sap certainly looked past its prime when I started and the partially finished syrup is much darker and less sweet than usual, not sure if the flavor will be off when I finally finish it.

Should be getting ready for another boil in a day or two. Got a decent amount of sap the last two days and I'm working on keeping it nice and cold to prevent a repeat of the last boil. The suns been coaxing sap out of the trees despite the cold temps so I might have enough sap to boil on wednesday.

Temps in the long term forecast don't look all that good, might be finished by mid march. I've been having nightmares about the trees budding suddenly overnight.
    Photos
    Photos

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12