+ Reply to Thread

Thread: frost in ground effect on syrup production

Default frost in ground effect on syrup production

I constantly get ask, "how will the lack of snow and frost effect the syrup season". Any comment anyone?

The amount of snow really has nothing to do with how the season will turn out. Usually the less frost, the better the season, at least that is what I have observed over the years. The ground being really dry like it is may be more of an issue.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

i believe without the snow and frost in the ground the season may be quick to start and with the ground warming up it may make the growing season start earlier than normal. Usually the frost in the ground and snow on the ground helps prolong the season keeping things colder for longer. so with the lack of both but with lots of ground water in the ground its going to make for a very interesting season. all of this is just my own honest opinion...it may be different for you guys out west.
    Harding Hill Farm
    2650 taps
    3rd Generation Sugar Maker with a Chocolate Lab named Acer

http://www.hardinghillfarm.com
    www.facebook.com/hardinghillfarmnh

I agree with the New Hampshire guy. Snow "evens out" the high and lo temps so you don't get temp spikes that hit 60 during the day and then it takes so long to cool down that your freeze has no effect. Snow keeps the atmosphere from warming up too much and insulates the ground just enough in those early April days so when the temp is only 21 degrees for 4 hours at night, it can simulate a harder frost below the surface and you'll get a good run instead of a weak one. Whereas some days in April when the ground is bare and it doesn't form any frost on mud puddles until 2am you might get down to 21 degrees but by 3 in the afternoon the trees act like they're pooping out. That's how I feel about snow. The part I'll admit I don't have a good feel about is available moisture. Obviously, more water has to be a better situation than pure drought. High and low pressures can come into play, too. I can't say for sure if I ever noticed a downpour followed the next day by a great run, but that's just because I haven't paid great attention to that. I think it's fair to say that mid and late April has lots of warm days and warm nights and kills syrup season. Outside of freezing nights, really warm days where it takes longer to to achieve a freeze at night kills your season, too. Cold ground is the only thing that can turn a quick night's freeze into a productive day. So once the ground warms up too much from lack of snow or just warm daytime temps, there's no quick nighttime freeze that can trip the trees into leaking. That's why those maples that are tucked deep in the swamp amongst the cedars can probably leak into the third week of April. Good cold ground. In that case, though, evergreens tend to be a factor because it keeps the sun from hitting the ground. Nice snow = 40 during the day and 15-20 at night.

Snow is good for making light colored syrup that is for sure....keeps the lower 10 feet in the woods cooler. The air 60 feet up has to freeze the branches and tips good and hard in order for their to be a decent run the next day...without vacuum. I have seen years with 2 feet of hard snow, tapped, and one week later the snow was completely gone and not a drop of syrup had been made yet. If the ground is frozen deep thats when you never have a good year. You usually get favorable temps for sap, but the roots cannot make sap until that blasted frozen ground subsides.

Usually if there is an average amount of snow on the ground...that just helps insulate the ground against major ground frost intrusion which is a good thing. The sugar % in years with drought conditions usually is noticeably higher provided there is some rainfall during the season.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

This is a very important question here. I'd like to get information on this as well. Waiting for replies on this!

+ Reply to Thread