+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starting in Victor NY

Default Starting in Victor NY

If the forecast holds for next week I am going to tap super bowl sunday. Right now the 10 and 15 day forecasts both look ideal for making good syrup. I know those forecasts aren't ultra reliable but every meteorologist says that there is not a significant pattern change in the forseeable future. I will let you know how it turns out.

Chris
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    2 by 8 Lapierre all stanless evaporator
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

dont know where victor is but im in broome county rite below whitney point and im tapping this friday(3rd),i have a mix of maples with alot being silvers and with this weather were haveing im scared there gonna bud out alot sooner than normal.....exstended forcast for our area looks ideal for big sap

Going to try to get ours in tomorrow here i greene county. The only thing we have ready is the big holding tank...

I'm in the Canandaigua area and looking to tap a few soon to see how things are goin. The weather looks decent. My operation is tiny, but my growth is slow and steady. Not really ready yet. The excitement of getting things ready is fun though. Good luck!
    2011: Turkey Fryer, 3 Taps, 1 Quart!
    2012: Crude Block Setup, 14 Taps & 2.5 Gal. Syrup
    2013-2016: Fuel Tank w/ Steam Pans, 20 Taps and between 4.5-6.5 Gallons
    2017: Next Gen Maple 2x3 Hobby setup, 25 taps & 4.5 Gal.
    2018: 34 taps & 8 gal

Tapped super bowl Sunday. Collected 1300 gallons of sap on Monday and Tuesday. Boiled down into about 17 gallons of the lightest syrup I have ever seen. Looks good for tommorrow and Friday and then again by next Tuesday. Make hay while the sun shines i guess.

Chris
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

What is your sugar count. If I see what you said you made 17 gallons of syrup on 1300 gal of sap. That works out to be about 76.5 gal of sap per gal of syrup. Is this all true or am I missing something?
    Brian Kelly
    Red Shed Sweets
    2x6 Leader drop flue

birduhunt - it takes many gallons of sap to sweeten the pans and I'm sure Chris has 50 gallons of sweet in his pans now when he shut when he ran out of more sap to put through. On my 3x10, at the begiining of the season, I'll boil a few hundred gallons of sap before I draw my 1st gallon of syrup. After that, it comes quicker.
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

i live in rome ny............... and started tapping today...its going to be a short season i'm guessing, if you cant get what you can you wont have anything.while i was tapping today with no snow cover,i looked to the ground and new grouth is coming out of the ground (similar to like a tulip).its too early you would think for stuff to be start growing..oh by the way im still waiting for my new pans.who needs sap close to me,maybe we could work out some kinda deal?

Wink tapping in

Finally have all the heavy lifting done, tanks in place, evaporator cleaned and ready, new (to us ) busch vacuum pump ,wet line installed out to first intersection. added about 150 more taps and we are going to start tapping Monday after the cold weekend ahead.Looked back at our journal and that is when we tapped last year. So all we can do is hope it works this year.Good luck to all
    We started with 50 pails,cooking outside. We have progressed upwards to 1700 + taps on pipe line with vacuum.Cooking on a 4x12 with auf/aof . This year we added a wetline and vacuum booster, also updated to Busch mink vacuum pump. New for 2015 will be a Leader Extreme 2 R/O as well as buying sap from some of the locals.

Sugar content is 7.5% after I ro it. One bush is 2% and my other woods with big trees was 2.5% I boiled 120 gallons of concentrate to sweeten the pans so it am doing better than 75 to 1. Thank god. Get tapped this weekend in this area or you may miss it guys. Good luck
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast