+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boiling

Mine has a single door being only 2'. I don't like the looks of the new large single door, but it may be better, time will tell. Price sure came down as it now comes with ductwork and blower too I think.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Iooked in both leaders catolog and Bascoms and they still show the inferno arch with two doors so maybe Goulds ordered it special? Just a thought.
    Keith

Keith,

I think the pic is the same pic they have had in both catalogs for several years. I don't think you can get it but with one door now. :?
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Well they say the rig will do around 1000gph. As for the single door on the inferno arches,they all come that way now because most people who bought the arches w/two doors were not told how to fire them.The two door arches have hollow square tubing around the door openings and one in the center.Attached to these are the over fire air nozzles.These nozzles(45 degree pipe elbows) were at first steel which burned out,had to be replaced w/cast.The second problem is that between the grates and the door is a space 2 fire bricks wide,in early arches this was left uncovered. I know of one owner that was never told to keep this gap open and only put wood on the grates,the front section obviously got damaged,but the rig works nicely now w/cast nozzles and the wood kept back.On new rigs this section is covered w/fire brick.I prefer the origional 2 door design,smaller doors means less bending moment on the hinges and you have to like the semi-trailer door latches. I'm sure some complaned about a post in the middle. The single door arches have one huge heavy door that swings off to the side remaining parallel to the arch front.This is accopmplished with duel pivoting arms,2 on top 1 on the bottom.This works nicelly but should incorperate the use of heavy duty bushings to handle the weight.On the bottom right of the door is the air intake for the air nozzles in the door,the door has to fit into this as well as the main sealing gasket.With the present arrangement it wouldn't be long before you will be lifting the door in place to get it to seal.I played around with Gould's yesterday and the lack of alignment guides or pins in combination with the poor latching mechanism had me very disappointed,all this on a $10,000 arch! I may have to take a trip to Leader w/the farm owner I work for so his arch will have my improvements added. Sorry about being long winded.

Saphead,

On my 2' inferno arch, I have a single hinged door. I have just the stanard grates in my arch. In the last couple of years they have came out with forced air grates for 2' arches. What I do it I have two firebrick turned across the front of the arch laying flat. This gives me a guide of where to fire and I keep all the wood back past the edge of the firebrick.

Is this good or should I take the firebrick out and just leave the space open?? To me, that would kill efficiency as most of the air would be blowing out this hole instead of in the fire. The new 2' air grates are only 18" long, so on my arch, I would have to firebrick up a wall 6" from the door.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Brandon, I'd leave well enough alone. The gap in front of the door provides room for gases to burn,the bigger arches have air nozzles on the sides of the door frames. When I build my arch I'm going to add air nozzles near the top of the slope to burn gases as they enter the flues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12