+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Early to Tap?

Did my Roth run today, Very good crowd, would of liked to stay for the seminar but had some welding at home to do on the tractor forks. Couldn't believe the lack of snow down in that neck of the woods (Cadott WI.) With the forecast it probably will just be patches here and there by the weekend.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and closer for you to go to Polaks?
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Default father/son time and spreading the money around

Mark, Not sure of this years priceing, but Roth is usually cheaper on most of their containers except glass pints, and I buy 300 gallons worth of containers so it does add up. The gas sets me back a bit but another reason is Roths Wisconsin jugs have a bolder silk screening picture on it which i like. Also my dad likes to take our annual road trip over there. I also do business with Polaks with my pipeline needs.

Boy am I glad I tapped early february against many warnings, I was boiling in 60+ temps yesterday, unless I see reason otherwise I might be pulling my taps this coming week
    Cody
    Rome WI
    2010, 3taps couple pints syrup
    2011, 10 taps= 29single pound jars, 22half pounders
    2012, bad year
    2013, 48 taps= about 15 gallons
    2014, 96 taps.. so far

Same here, we tapped end of Feb, I wish we would have the first week of Feb. Trees are all done here. We will collect and pull all 800 tomorrow morning after work. Last day of boiling and its gonna be 70!
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

I also tapped earlier than usual and am glad I did so, but I don't think you can use this season as a typical year to judge by. If I had tapped early February last year I would have been sitting without sap for at least 2 weeks and then the taps might have dried up early March before the season really got started. That's part of the game I guess. When you gamble with Mother Nature you sometimes win, you sometimes lose, and in the case of 2012...she sometimes cheats.
    Homemade 2X4 w/Flat Pan
    50 taps....but always looking to expand
    Mostly box elders with a scattering of red, silver, & sugar maples
    Allis Chalmers C & Homemade Sap Sled

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12