+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Connecting a bulk milk tank - fitting?

Default Connecting a bulk milk tank - fitting?

Hey guys,

Any ideas on how to connect a bulk milk tank to any type of pvc fitting? I thought about a fernco rubber fitting but they say drain/waste fitting so thinking that will not be food grade. Attaching pictures - it has a lip and indentation in the lip for a gasket I assume. Measurements are 2" od and 1 7/16" id. Didn't measure the gasket groove but imagine it is about 1 1/2" if that helps.

Kind of wish I thought of this before I tapped the trees yesterday
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sugerin' since 2005
    75-150 taps some on vac
    Maple Pro 2x6
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45317702@N02/

rubber fitting over it with clamps and a pvc shutoff will last for years. Many of us have used a fernco rubber fitting.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

if you can get a flexible hose to mount on the tank on one end then get a pvc barbed fitting that will adapt. then the end is also flexible in case you change anything in the future
    7000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

I have many dairy tanks in my operation, i buy the mating dairy tube flange from mcmaster carr, they are about 5 bucks for a 1 1/2 inch one which appears to be what you have there, the clamp is about 9 bucks and the gasket under a dollar, i then tig weld a short stainless pipe nipple to the end, a 1 1/4 pipe nipple threaded on one end matches up very close in diameter to the diameter of a 1 1/2 inch dairy tube fitting. You can buy adapters that are already made but they are like 75 bucks! If you want to make the journey up to visit again i would gladly tig weld the parts for you wouldnt take long at all
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

Mark, thanks again for the offer of help, I'll be styling when the clamp setup comes in... so my temp solution looks like Jed Clampett put it together but's holding water, er, sap. Just got done sweetening the pans.
    Sugerin' since 2005
    75-150 taps some on vac
    Maple Pro 2x6
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45317702@N02/

Mark- do you have any McMaster Carr part numbers? Think I'm close, but if you had some numbers you know that work for what you describe, that would be excellent- thanks-

Eric

oops- just noticed that my pipe is threaded, vs. the one in littlesap's photo is a clamp...

I have one that is a clamp like in the photo and two that are threaded, so either answer is helpful...I have been using Ferncos but would like to do something stainless and more reliable.
    Last edited by tuckermtn; 01-31-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Heres the list of parts we used for littlesaps tank:

4322K212 High-Polish 304 Stainless Steel Quick-Clamp Tube Fitting, Short Butt-Weld Adapter for 1-1/2" Tube OD, 1/2" L

4322K152 High-Polish 304 Stainless Steel Quick-Clamp Tube Fitting, Wing-Nut Clamp for 1 &1-1/2" Tube OD, 1.984" Flange

4509K14 Buna-N Gasket for Sanitary Tube Fitting, for 1-1/2" Tube OD

9157K26 Standard-Wall 304/304L Stainless Steel Thread One End Pipe Nipple, 1-1/4 Pipe Size X 1-1/2" Length

The parts all together were only like 17 bucks and change so a decent approach if you can weld
    I dont have the numbers handy for the threaded bevel seat type but you should be able to look them up on there website easily under dairy tube fittings
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

+ Reply to Thread