+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Tappers here in MN???

...probably not worth boiling unless you are like me and only getting sap that is 1.2% :wink: Send that stuff my way!

Actually heard of someone partially freezing sap multiple times until they had clear syrup. Curious to try this myself some time.
    -Brian-
    1st generation sugarmaker
    A wonderful wife, 9 children...
    www.sweetwoodmaple.com

250 Taps on Vacuum for '21
    Welch DuoSeal 1397 w/2HP vacuum pump
    Homemade PVC electric releaser
    D&G 3x10 Drop Flue
    2 x 4 Cherry Burrell flat filter tank
    Apartment Stove fired Phaneuf Canner

Rob Harvey Guest

There is sugar in the liquid between the ice crystals, if you can prop it up and let it drain it will mostly come out. The ice turns white after it drains. Rob

ovoutdor Guest

Default MN Tappers

I just moved to MN last fall, and tap here, and also in WI now. Just 100 or so. I tapped the first week of March, and a had a good run going until the weather turned cold. It started flowing again this past Saturday, with today being quite high, almost 80 gallons from 93 taps!! hope it keeps up for awhile. the weather forecast looks good through next Tuesday.

Jim Powell Guest

Default Novice tapper

I just tapped my first trees ever, on Saturday the 18th. I knew this would be a lot of work, but not this much. After collecting about 4 gallons of sap, I boiled it down on Monday. If it didn't taste so incredibly good, I'd pack it all in. But now, I think I've got the 'bug'. Is there any place in the Twin Cities that sells supplies?

Thanks,

Jim Powell

Jim: I don't know about the Twin Cities, but Roth Sugar Bush over in Cadott, Wi isn't very far east. It would be between St. Paul and Eau Claire. Pretty good company to deal with. You can call them at 715-289-3820.

Tim Guest

Default Any Tappers here in MN???

Jim--

You were looking for a supplier...why don't you call the Maple Guys, the guys that sponsor this site. I've done business with them and they have always treated me good.

Jim, Andersons maple syrup and supplies is just outside of Cumberland, WI. I do some business with them, as well as Roths. Andersons #715-822-8512. Mark

Jim Powell Guest

Actually, I think all it took was a little practice. My last batch looks pretty clear! I've also graduated from the old turkey roaster to the largest canning pot I could find. I think it is 8 gallons. I'm just starting it now, and I think it will be perfect for getting the sap to the fnishing stage. I've been run out of the kitchen for finishing though!

Later,

Jim Powell Guest

Default Tapping Season here in the Twin Cities

Do any of you experienced tappers have an idea on how much longer the sap will be collectable? Does it really matter if the temperature does not get below freezing at night, but gets say below 35° F ?

Thanks

Rob Harvey Guest

It matters. Eventually it will stop running and wont run again until there is another freeze, thaw cycle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12