+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Tappers here in MN???

brucekremer Guest

Default Any Tappers here in MN???

I don't see any posts in this forum. Just wondering if there are any Minnesota tappers out there that peruse the MapleTrader. Love to hear from any one in MN. Should be some out there . . . I've seen many a bucket hang'in from a tree the last couple of years and have already seen some up this year (this week). I just do it for fun and don't tap many trees. Just enough for syrup for the wife and I and we give it away to friends and at Christmas time.
    I tapped the first trees last Sat. (3/4) and will tap some more this weekend.
    Hope to hear from some MN locals.

Bruce, I had a sugarer from MN call me the other night, I told him about the site, I'm sure he will sign on soon hopefully and let us know how it's going out there.... I was happy to tell him that I'm a DIEHARD Vikings fan for 32years now.
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

brucekremer Guest

Hey Jim, Thanks for the tip. I know there's gotta be some MN folks cruise'in this site. I'll keep watching. Like I stated earlier, the wife and I (mostly I) do this just for fun. It's kinda like the first rite of spring for me. Not being an ice fisher or a snowmobiler I can't wait to get back to outside activities. I found this site last weekend when I was pondering whether to tap yet or not and wanted to see if anyone around here had started yet. When I didn't find anybody in MN I looked to Wisc and read a few had already started. So out I went with drill in hand and sure nuff the sap just poured out. Started boiling Monday. . . . . Wanna trade Brady for Culpepper???

funny you say that, Culpepper wants his contract done or traded. I like Brady, Patriots are my second team of course! :wink:
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Bruce Kremer, My wife was from Dassel, Mn. I get out there several times a year as its only 2 1/4 hours west of me. Rockford is on 55??

Believe I went through there a few times when they were tearing up highway 12 between the cities and Dassel someplace.

My wifes folks dairy farm out there yet and they pedal syrup out there for us. I know they have it in Litchfield and a few apple orchards out in that area.

There are a few nice tracts of hard maple between Delano and Cokato and a few south af there as well. I've pretty much scanned the area, but not near as many trees as where I live in Wi.

Mark

Default Living in Minnesota

I Came THIS close to buying a place near Orr a bunch of years ago. I even had a job lined up. Unfortunately, THat big Chipboard/OSB plant had logged it off and the maples were awful thin.

I eventually decided to stay in New York, but I sure did like the state and the people!
    Tons of trees. No taps, No evaporator
    No wife, No Kids. Nothing left but Dreams

Cindy T in MN Guest

Default RE: any tappers here in MN?

Hi! I'm here! I', doing this just for fun, too. My family loves the syrup.

I have 3 backyard trees tapped and they are doing great. Last year I guess I hit it too late, and barely got a drop, but this year is fine.
    The weather has been pretty good. I thought it might be over, then we got a snowstorm and better temps. We're back in business for this week, if one can trust the forecast.

I do have a question, and am not sure where to ask.
    I've read that some people will toss the layer of ice from the top of the bucket, thinking that it is just water that has frozen and doesn't have sugar in it. Has anyone ever checked this out or verified it? I like the idea of tossing off extra water (less boiling) but hate the thought of losing any sugar. With only 3 trees I have to be careful, you know

Enjoy the weather!

Cindy T in MN

I have been told that there is much less sugar in the ice however I do not toss it but rather leave it in the buchet to keep the new sap colder and in the end it melts and gets boiled.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Rob Harvey Guest

Recently there was a post from someone who removed the ice, melted it and checked the sugar content- .5% not worth boiling in my book. Rob

Cindy T in MN Guest

Default ice

Ah-ha. I knew somebody would have checked into it. I suspect that the thicker the ice layer is, the more sugar might be included in it. Just a hunch.

Cindy T in MN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast