+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why are the sugar contents so low?

Default Why are the sugar contents so low?

I have noticed that many of the people who have already tapped are getting readings of 1.6%. Is this because it was a warm winter, tapping this early or some other factor? I will be the first to say that I am new to this but I was always told that 2.5% is more average.
    2011-8 Taps on a very crude block arch
    2012- 38 taps 2 X 3 with blower.
    2013- 70 taps total-50 on tubing, 20 on buckets
    2014- 75 taps- Low vacuum, 2X4 drop flue
    2015- 100 taps-2X6 Mason Drop Tube, low vac
    2016-115 taps high vac, 60 taps buckets
    14X20 post and beam shack with attached 10X14 wood shed
    12 beehives and an avid waterfowl hunter.
    Wishing I can quit my day job, keep bees, farm, and make syrup!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moshe...40072296064422

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Starting Small View Post
    I have noticed that many of the people who have already tapped are getting readings of 1.6%. Is this because it was a warm winter, tapping this early or some other factor? I will be the first to say that I am new to this but I was always told that 2.5% is more average.
    It is the time of season (winter). Trees convert all sugars to starches in the fall (there is very little metabolic activity in the winter, so sugars are not needed by the tree during the dormant period). In the spring, when it is time for growth to start ramping up, they begin to convert the starches back to sugars to "fuel" those metabolic processes (root growth, stem growth, and eventually, leaf-out). We're not to that point yet, so sugar content in the sap is low. This is normal.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Interesting, so it sounds like by waiting to tap later in the season although you miss some of the sap volume you may be getting better quality sap? Quality over quantity? This is encouraging to know that it is not because of stressed trees. If the tap holes heal up in 4-6 weeks it makes sense why so many people are waiting to tap even though the temperatures seem favorable. I am beginning to see the light!
    2011-8 Taps on a very crude block arch
    2012- 38 taps 2 X 3 with blower.
    2013- 70 taps total-50 on tubing, 20 on buckets
    2014- 75 taps- Low vacuum, 2X4 drop flue
    2015- 100 taps-2X6 Mason Drop Tube, low vac
    2016-115 taps high vac, 60 taps buckets
    14X20 post and beam shack with attached 10X14 wood shed
    12 beehives and an avid waterfowl hunter.
    Wishing I can quit my day job, keep bees, farm, and make syrup!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moshe...40072296064422

I usually am inpatient and tap early, I noticed after browsing my records that sap quality goes up about Mid February in my area. That's usually two to three weeks after I tapped. However, there seems a trend that if my early sap is really low in sugar then mid season is weaker too. Today I started checking each tree and found about half my trees are normal sugar of +/- 2% by a couple tenths, but the other half are really low and tested 1% and I saw one below 1%. I dumped the sap from those low trees. It's odd as the lowest tree was a field edge tree. I figured that what Dr. Perkins said was what is happening, but with this weather I am afraid that buds will break early and shorten season. With that said I'll take the early syrup I can make and count it as bonus. Last year I pulled and tapped new trees in prime flow and saw only a small difference in sap quality. Since I'm small every little run helps. I have started marking my trees that have good early sugar content and will concentrate on them for early tapping in the future. Please tell me if I'm off base Dr Tim.

+ Reply to Thread