+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help from fellow md maplers

I am pretty close to you. I live in Markleton Pa and plan on tapping this weekend. Been busy building a new sugar shack which should be all done today. If your interested in some decent keellers I have hundreds of them I will sell you some cheap. Message me if your interested.
    2nd generation maple producer
    2,000 gravity taps for 2012-2013
    1,500 gravity taps for 2011
    1,000 gravity taps for 2010
    3X10 darveau evaporator w/drop flu pan steam away hoods wood fired custom brick arch.
    G.H Grimm Filter Press
    Lapierre 600 GPH RO
    2008 Chevy 1 Ton Duramax w/425gl tank sap hauler

My Cousin in Markelton told me he was tapping today. He has 1200 taps.
    3X10 Lappiere Cross Flow Raised Flue
    Lappiere 250 Turbo RO
    800 ish taps??? for 2015
    rossellsmaple.com

MAY THE SAP BE WITH YOU

Quote Originally Posted by KV Sappers View Post
    I started last year and boiled on my kitchen stove.This year I'm boiling on a 3 burner high propane stove with a custom made syrup pan with 3 dividers and a preheater pan sitting on top. I'm boiling 4 gph and only have the burners turned about a 1/4 open. Probably could get more gph if I opened the burners up more. Doesn't matter what you use, just tap some trees and go for it. Be fore warned though, this sugar making is addictive!!
    Attachment 5215
    How much propane are you going through on your rig?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    How much propane are you going through on your rig?
    I tapped Jan. 24 and have boiled down 183 gal. of sap and have used 42 gals. of propane. Propane is not a cheap way to go but I like the convenience of it. If I need to go somewhere I can just turn my burners off and walk away. My biggest problem this year, was not enough pressure in my 30lb. tank. Next year, I'm going at least a 100lb tank or bigger.
    2011 - 6 buckets
    Stove Top
    2012 - 15 buckets
    2013 - 19 buckets
    Camper cook stove with 3 high propane burners
    Custom made 42x14x7 maple pan with dividers
    2015 - New 12x16 Sugar Shack
    2015 - New Lapierre Propane Evaporator
    2016 - 28 buckets
    2017 - 30 buckets
    2019 - 32 buckets
    2023 - 32 buckets - Good to be back

KV Sappers,
    You might want to rethink that 100lb cylinder. Your lack of pressure is due to a lack of surface area inside your propane tank for the liquid propane to boil off into propane gas. Trying to run 3 large burners off of 1 tank is asking a lot of it. Most 30lb and 100lb cylinders are the same diameter so you will have more propane storage, but not an increased rate of gas production. You will need a propane tank with a greater diameter, or you could manifold 2 of the smaller tanks together doubling your surface area for your gas supply.
    Last edited by Ma&Pa-sapper; 02-22-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Dang, first post and I put my foot in my mouth
    Visually the 2 size tanks had always looked the same diameter to me, and they both froze up just as easily when running my construction heaters full bore off of a single tank. Checking more carefully online I found that there is a bit of an increase in size going up to a 100# cylinder.

Assuming a wall thickness of 1/8”
    30# Manchester cylinder will give you roughly 111.41 square inches of surface area
    100# Manchester cylinder will give you roughly 172.27 square inches of surface area
    30# Worthington will give you a roughly 113.10 square inches of surface area
    100# Worthington will give you a roughly 162.41 square inches of surface area

If you were getting by on a 30# cylinder with just a little difficulty, it looks like a 100# cylinder may be the ticket. I just did not want you to invest in something that would not do the job.

http://www.missiongas.com/lpgbottledimensions.htm
    Propane cylinder dimensions.JPG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12