+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help from fellow md maplers

Hybrid View

KV Sappers,
    You might want to rethink that 100lb cylinder. Your lack of pressure is due to a lack of surface area inside your propane tank for the liquid propane to boil off into propane gas. Trying to run 3 large burners off of 1 tank is asking a lot of it. Most 30lb and 100lb cylinders are the same diameter so you will have more propane storage, but not an increased rate of gas production. You will need a propane tank with a greater diameter, or you could manifold 2 of the smaller tanks together doubling your surface area for your gas supply.
    Last edited by Ma&Pa-sapper; 02-22-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Dang, first post and I put my foot in my mouth
    Visually the 2 size tanks had always looked the same diameter to me, and they both froze up just as easily when running my construction heaters full bore off of a single tank. Checking more carefully online I found that there is a bit of an increase in size going up to a 100# cylinder.

Assuming a wall thickness of 1/8”
    30# Manchester cylinder will give you roughly 111.41 square inches of surface area
    100# Manchester cylinder will give you roughly 172.27 square inches of surface area
    30# Worthington will give you a roughly 113.10 square inches of surface area
    100# Worthington will give you a roughly 162.41 square inches of surface area

If you were getting by on a 30# cylinder with just a little difficulty, it looks like a 100# cylinder may be the ticket. I just did not want you to invest in something that would not do the job.

http://www.missiongas.com/lpgbottledimensions.htm
    Propane cylinder dimensions.JPG

No such thing as too redneck when you're backyard sugaring. Whatever works. I tapped the other day, almost nothing coming out except for 1 tree that produced about a quart of sap on Saturday. We'll see what happens this week as nighttime temps will be getting closer to freezing.

Quick update -- Checked my buckets yesterday, about 1 gallon out of a medium sized maple and about a quart out of a smaller red maple. Other larger trees are still bone dry.

Well only tapped 10 trees and got ten gallons of sap. Boiled it Tuesday and got a little under a quart. Not bad for first time. Hope to post pics on next boil.

I am pretty close to you. I live in Markleton Pa and plan on tapping this weekend. Been busy building a new sugar shack which should be all done today. If your interested in some decent keellers I have hundreds of them I will sell you some cheap. Message me if your interested.
    2nd generation maple producer
    2,000 gravity taps for 2012-2013
    1,500 gravity taps for 2011
    1,000 gravity taps for 2010
    3X10 darveau evaporator w/drop flu pan steam away hoods wood fired custom brick arch.
    G.H Grimm Filter Press
    Lapierre 600 GPH RO
    2008 Chevy 1 Ton Duramax w/425gl tank sap hauler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12