+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1626272829303132333435363738394041424344454656 ... LastLast

Thread: tapping in the catskills.

Let us know when you'll be at Toms open house. Sounds like a great year for you. Take care

Antimicrobial spiles can be bought from tom Kaufman at catskill mountain maple in DeLancey,ny.
    Brought in another 3,200 gals this morning! Another day or two and that should be it. Maybe. Highland I'll let you know about toms.

That's pretty amazing production with all the variables we have had this year. I don't have a drop running on any tap now. There all coming out tomorrow.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Another 2,600 gals of sap in this morning. That's it for me this year. Had some fermentation in the line from the ro to the back tank, and once that starts...... Cleaned the line and am boiling good sap now. Best year for me, which is great after last year and not knowing if I would be back sugaring. Already making plans for expansion next year! Good luck to everyone still going.

We are traditionally 3 weeks behind you here on the mountaintop. Snowing here right now but expect to collect tomorrow morning. I have maybe 350 gallons in tanks plus whatever we get tomorrow. The weather looks too warm for the next three or four days. Might be it. My notes say we dumped our buckets and pulled our taps on 4/7 last year so I guess this 'end of season' more closely matches what we had in the past, as the 'start' which I think we MISSED. All good. Next year we will tap very early Feb - 3 weeks after YOU!

I'll find out if I'm still going a little later this morning. Right now I have 31F at my house, could be a little colder at 900' higher elevation. I pumped the lines to empty yesterday and dumped the spoiled sap, then I washed the tank. Today and tomorrow are possible for me but maybe not real promising. If I do get some to boil it may well be very dark.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Snow at my farm this morning, but still done. Finished what was in the evaporator and started cleaning up.

I pulled 260 gal yesterday. Will continue today and tomorrow morning will be my last sap pickup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by mountainvan View Post
    Best year for me, which is great after last year and not knowing if I would be back sugaring. Already making plans for expansion next year!
    That's great to hear on all counts.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

We are at 2200' and we were able to collect 150 gallons on Saturday. We were below freezing Saturday night so will check in a little bit for what I'm pretty will be our last collection. Will boil all and start the clean up......Running back and forth between the wood splitter, the evaporator and greenhouse. Started tilling yesterday. I think we started a little late for this year's run, even though it was the same day on the calendar, but we had our best year as well! Bottled right around 70 gallons. Am thinking about running some tubing to collection tanks from the trees farthest off the trial. Getting older and this snow makes collecting difficult, especially when the ATV can't get through the sugar bush and I am forced to use a custom sled that fits only 8 5 gallon buckets at a time. Will be asking questions of you all when I get that tubing going.

First question - 5/16" tube for main line and 3/16" to trees?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1626272829303132333435363738394041424344454656 ... LastLast