+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123456789101112132353 ... LastLast

Thread: tapping in the catskills.

another 400 taps in and syrup total close to 100 gals so far. still more taps to put in.

all tapped! unless I add more taps. 1,000 gals sap from yesterday waiting for more sap from today to be made into syrup. weather this week looks sweeeet for maple sap flow. let the fun off 48hr
    days begin. diet of bananas, granola bars, spaghettios, and pbr. maybe a little jim beam after the shift.

Also all tapped unless I add a few more, but still setting up vac at new bush. Setting pump today, likely have running tomorrow AM. First boil yesterday. RO is nice but I need bigger. 250 was running 240 gph at 6% which barely kept up with evap. I bought 600 gal sap too. This PM, will pickup my biggest bush and run that.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Hey Glad to see your alright after the flood i often wondered how you made out afterwards. I tapped a Friday and i've collected 100 gallons on 40 taps. My buckets seem to be running inconsistent. i only tapped 40 because i'm leaving this weekend for work so i don't want to be innundated after i get back. So i decided that i'll put another 40 out on sunday. Hopefully the stretch of mid to upper 50's doesn't hurt me too much. the buds are already apparent. Just hopefully they hold off.

PS. i think you should switch from PBR to Busch.... since i sell busch and not PBR lol
    80-100 taps
    2x6 patrick phaneuf Evaporator

filled another barrel tonight. not much sap today so no boil tomorrow. Busch huh? the best is the sugarbush!

i seasoned my pans lastnight checked this morning and i have about another 70 gallons since 4pm yesterday and they're running ok. i feel because of how warm its going to be the next few days that it will slack off until the weekend. i'll boil thrusday with hopefully 100 gallons. I need to make sure i have atleast 10 gallons this year as i'm making it for wedding favors for my wedding in October. sugar content on the last boil was 2.1 but i had a good amount of ice that i extracted.
    80-100 taps

congrats on getting married. several words that can lead to a long marriage... yes dear I was wrong, I'm sorry. Always said by the husband, the wife is god! another barrel filled tonight and a head start on tomorrow with sap in the ro tanks. one of my four vacuum pumps is ill, only pulling 10 inches,(that's what she said) and needs to be taken apart and fixed tomorrow. they always have trouble during the big runs. all other pumps are pulling 20+ and sap is coming in at a good rate. tanks should be full tomorrow= 4,000+ gals sap. Banzai!!

closing in on 300 gals. no huge runs yet but enough to keep me busy

Whats your extended forecast looking like? Mines upper 60's by thursday, then backs off before surging for the next week into the mid 60's i think i'm done after this weekend
    80-100 taps

cold tonight, 8, then slowly warming back up wednesday to thursday in the 50's then back to 40's and 20's. looks to be a huge run for me this week, a repeat of the past couple days. with all antimicrobial spiles I think I'll go into april easily. I did leave yesterdays sap in the tanks to freeze tonight to help keep the sap cooler this week. if you finish before me you can always come up and visit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123456789101112132353 ... LastLast