+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northeastern NY

Default Northeastern NY

What is the opinion on 2015 season? To me its gonna be a short season due to lack of snow on the ground. We may have 6" of snow on the ground but has been very cold. Hoping its nothing like last year for me, Nights last season were to cold would dip down in to low single digits and not get about 25 during the day. Now this year no snow yet and cold go figure if its not one thing its another. Just asking what others think. but time will tell early yet.
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    300 on gravity and 300 buckets for 2011
    1000 total for 2012
    250 taps on shurflow pumps
    G.H.Grimm 3x10 raise flue auf
    snowmobile and grizzly 660 four wheeler
    8 beagles an 1 aussie shepherd for company
    and last a wonderful companion that lets me do all the stuff i love (maple sugaring) and doesnt ask questions!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc375/cpmaple/

one of the best yrs i had ,had no snow till march,1 storm early in march,made syrup till 2nd week in april.There seems to be a lot of moister in the ground,a little frost.Keep records for 45 yrs and every year we had a bad one,a good or above average yr followed.Happy Surg'in

Hope for the best but lack of snow cover makes me think frost went deep again. Think that was factor in last yrs poor production.
    Not much over 6 inches snow in the woods

SNOW!!!!!!!!!! we have enough now lol but this year is a bust for myself. All was good up till two weeks ago when work put us on 5/10's so that leaves little time for boiling. Looking like I will be boiling off from 150 taps this season due to work. I'm down about it but work calls and that's sure money in the pocket. Hope everyone else has a great season now what to do thinking I'm gonna use my oversized vac pump on the 150 taps at the house so I can still boil and make some syrup with the kids. Best of luck to all and let your sap run high.
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    300 on gravity and 300 buckets for 2011
    1000 total for 2012
    250 taps on shurflow pumps
    G.H.Grimm 3x10 raise flue auf
    snowmobile and grizzly 660 four wheeler
    8 beagles an 1 aussie shepherd for company
    and last a wonderful companion that lets me do all the stuff i love (maple sugaring) and doesnt ask questions!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc375/cpmaple/

Yeah we have snow now mr. Was walkin the lines over the weekend had to use the snowshoes and that was before this last 12" snowfall. Hope for a great season for everyone!
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by cpmaple View Post
    SNOW!!!!!!!!!! we have enough now lol but this year is a bust for myself. All was good up till two weeks ago when work put us on 5/10's so that leaves little time for boiling. Looking like I will be boiling off from 150 taps this season due to work. I'm down about it but work calls and that's sure money in the pocket. Hope everyone else has a great season now what to do thinking I'm gonna use my oversized vac pump on the 150 taps at the house so I can still boil and make some syrup with the kids. Best of luck to all and let your sap run high.
    good luck to you CP have a great year. If i work in Burlington this spring Ill look over towards the Ads. look for all your steam
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

We were short on snow until mid/late Jan. but it sure has caught up since. Last Sat. we could not bust trail with the ATV wearing super lug tires, and the trail model snowmobile kept getting buried breaking new trail, then to top it off we had 14-16 inches more since Sun afternoon. It can quit now!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yeah we were low on snow, but I've measured 15.1 inches since febuary 1st. Seems like that should help the sugaring season somehow, maybe make it last longer than it would with less snow because of more soil moisture and cold soil temps. That's a bummer you won't be able to run your full setup cpmaple. I keep my operation small because I have to work a job for steady money too. At least you'll be able to make a little syrup with the kids. good luck.

The village workers were out on my street last week digging to fix a broken water line. The earth was frozen solid all the way down to the pipes at 48 inches. I'm sure it's not so deep in the woods where there's cover, but I wonder how deep the frost line is this year. Anyone out there digging lately?

Cold, cold, cold! Seems like it's never gonna break up. At least it gives more time to get my operation together for the year. Hard to get much done today with the wind though.

I think this will be similar to last year where it took 4 consecutive days of above freezing to really get anything going since it is so cold. Hopefully that happens before April this time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast