+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to use damper for preheater?

Default How to use damper for preheater?

I have read that there should be a damper in the steam pipe for the preheater.How would you use the damper?

You can partially close the damper to hold a little more steam in the hood to heat the preheater better. The more the damper is closed, the hotter your sap will get. However its never completly closed. You have to play around with one and see where the happy medium is- the highest incoming sap temperature you can get but still be allowing the steam to escape without it being restricted. With that said, a damper is not a requirement in order to have a preheater. Steam will still surround the preheater and heat the sap without one. I get 190 degree incoming sap with my preheater with the damper wide open, and 190 degree sap is still way better than 45, or 39, or 33 degree sap- whatever the outside ambient air temperature is!

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

So if I start with the damper half closed,that should be a starting point?I can play around with it while I am boiling. I read the Leader cataloge and it said they recommend a damper.They also said the pre-heater would work better with a stainless hood. theWhat is the hottest the sap should be comming from the preheater into the control box?

You can close it until steam starts leaking out of the hood. Then open it until that stops. That will maximize the preheating and still keep you out of the fog. I have a 7" steam stack on my 2 x 3 flue pan and run it w/o a damper and get very hot sap. Probably 160 to 180 F.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

There is no "too hot" for sap out of the preheater. I have seen a rig burn up both pans from the damper closed all the way. Literally fire in the pans and ruined both pans. 5x14 Be careful.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Yes, a damper would be reccomended, but its not a 'must have' for a preheater to still preheat. It just won't get as hot as it could with one. A stainless hood would hold the heat a little better than an aluminum one, because aluminum disapates (spelling?) heat better. However, I doubt you'd see a difference between the two. Mine is aluminum and it works flawlessly. Its less expensive than stainless and its easier to move because its a little lighter.

As for Leaders suggestions, their trying to sell stuff and make money. Their going to reccomend a lot of things and push stainless items over the aluminum ones. We, as frugal sugarmakers, will share what works and what works well for us, and will share how to do it inexpensively.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

As others have said, close the damper until steam comes out of the cracks , then open it up until the steam stops leaking out the cracks. On windy days you might need to leave the damper open a bit more. As far as how hot. You need to have a vent on the preheater or you can get it too hot and start the sap boiling in the tubes. without a vent it can vapor lock and not let any sap through to your pan.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

I used a preheater for the 1st time last night and worked great.
    I haven't had the time to put the damper in yet so I am using a flat cookie sheet to cover the steam stack.
    I ran it with out any resitriction and had sap going into the float box at 180 covered the steam stack 2/3 and sap went up to 196!!
    Good enough for me.

Like someone said earlier, way better that 35 degrees.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Sweet
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

+ Reply to Thread