+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Long Canned Syrup Keep?

Default How Long Canned Syrup Keep?

We have some syrup left from 2011 season that has been canned in Mason jars. Everything is sealed up, looks great, no mold. How long will it keep? It could be a slow sapping season here so should we just keep eating it through the rest of this year or shall I start making some maple candy with the old stuff? Thanks

welcome to mapletrader! it should keep for awhile you should be able to use it or you could make candy aout of it. thats the same way i store it. if its sealed dont think it will ever go bad. its just basically pure sugar.

spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

If it ever molds just scoop off tHe mold bring it to a boil and it's good to go

As long as it was hot packed and remains sealed it will probably be good for longer than most of us will be around. I have eaten syrup canned by my Grandmother over 30 years old and it was fine. It did darken with age.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    We have some syrup left from 2011 season that has been canned in Mason jars. Everything is sealed up, looks great, no mold. How long will it keep? It could be a slow sapping season here so should we just keep eating it through the rest of this year or shall I start making some maple candy with the old stuff? Thanks
    First of all SugarMama welcome to Maple Trader - Great bunch of Guys and Gals on this Site and I have learned a lot since joining. I will just echo everyone else. It keeps for a very long time in canning jars. You are sure to hear different - but - Just like Thompsons Tree Farm says - He ate some of his Grandmothers from 30 years back and it was still good. Wow! - I had some eight years old and it was good - but 30 - I'm really impressed. ----As You already know - just keep it in the fridge once you do open it.

Old timee lesson: Sugar is a preservative....
    Maple syrup is a sugar... and a preservative.

Keeps a long time, years and years, especially if you gave it the full canning regime of preheating the jars and lids, etc. Lacking niter knowledge, I'm pretty sure we even did the boiling water bath on them (old style, few inches of water and the lid on the pot not the new style fully submerged stuff they are promoting now.) Not that I recall getting any niter from that...

I've had syrup grow a bit of mold, but it wasn't the stuff canned (with proper care) in mason jars, it was the stuff rather more casually stuffed into a gallon glass cider jug at the end of the season when I had filled every mason jar we had, bought more, filled them, and opted not to buy any more, but still had syrup. Removed the mold, boiled the syrup, even that was fine.

Sugar keeps even better, and would have been a better thing for me to have done with my excess that year.
    Two turkey pans on cinderblocks in the 1970's
    4x5 no-baffle stainless pan, built sugarhouse ~1980 - buckets and snowshoes. 17 gallons in best year. Went off to college, nothing for 25+ years.
    Thinking about getting going again in new location, in a small way. •• Cats, Coffee, Chocolate...Vices to Live By.

i had some that i hot packed in a syrup jug that molded,dunno if it had a defective seal on the cap or what, skimmed it, boiled it , and enjoyed it! tastes just as good as anyother syrup i've made (Why does mine taste better than anyother) probably i can just taste the hard work more! lol
    Chris

2010: 8 taps, got the bug and had to build a barrel arch to boil on with a borrowed 2x2 flat pan
    2011: 13 taps, made changes to my arch, doubled my boil rate
    2012: 31 taps, and a new homemade 275 oil tank arch
    for my new ( to me) 2x4 divided pan

Had a gentleman at the annual NHMPA today said he had someone called him with a jug that they found in there closet and gave him the number he put on the bottom of the jug and he looked back said it was from 2007 (this was last year 2011) so it was in plastice bacon jug for 4 years and no mold no fermenting no grade change and supposedly tasted great. So as long as you packed it correctly it seems it will last a very long time!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

+ Reply to Thread