+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to tap or not to tap...that is the question for this year!

Default to tap or not to tap...that is the question for this year!

So its January 27th and good vacuum weather has been here for a few days and seems to be in the forcast for the next 10 days with the exception of a day or 2 hovering around 30- 32 * for the high. I still need a few days to finish up a few odds and ends before I am able to tap anyway and this RAIN in January yet again isn't helping matters much.(normally I'd be out there but its no fun slopping around the swamp in the rain which is now high and is usually frozen at this point)

I do use CV's so I guess tapping this early wouldn't be a microbial issue with tap holes drying up before the end of the season and if it freezes well it freezes down here last year most of us tapped around the 15th of feb and got a 2 week freeze and then we had a banner year once the trees thawed a bit. Feburary can be tricky,If the winds change most of the month could be below 32*F

HHHMMMMMM What to do????

I am sure there are a few others asking the same question!!!

I know the bigger producers with taps in well in to 1000's and 10,000's range do begin to tap earlier than the rest of us smaller producers simply due to the large number of taps

If I don't tap now will the trees bud early from this strange weather??? then I will miss out on sap???? or do I wait ???

sO do I tap or wait????

Any thoughts or comments????
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Good question. I've been wondering the same thing. Last year I taped on the 16th. I'm definitly gonna tap earlier this year. Maybe the end of next week.
    New 2 x 4 W.F. Mason Hobby Evaporator
    145 taps
    12 X 12 Sugar Shack
    11 Chickens
    One man gang
    http://s311.photobucket.com/albums/k...Sugar%20house/

i dont know what to do either. with only 80 taps i cant afford to have my tap holes dry up. im gonna wait another week or so and if its still warm im just gonna go all in and tap everything espicaly if my test taps start going good. i have 3 test taps out now and have only gotten about a bucket full so far.

spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

The other thing that I am considering is if it is worth it to tap early if the sugar content is only 1.5% like so many people are reporting. If we wait we can just deal with the higher sugr content that the late winter brings. Less boiling and work. Of course for the commercial guys they may want every drop, but for many others why work harder if we do not have to, especially if the taps could dry up right when the contents are reaching 3%?
    2011-8 Taps on a very crude block arch
    2012- 38 taps 2 X 3 with blower.
    2013- 70 taps total-50 on tubing, 20 on buckets
    2014- 75 taps- Low vacuum, 2X4 drop flue
    2015- 100 taps-2X6 Mason Drop Tube, low vac
    2016-115 taps high vac, 60 taps buckets
    14X20 post and beam shack with attached 10X14 wood shed
    12 beehives and an avid waterfowl hunter.
    Wishing I can quit my day job, keep bees, farm, and make syrup!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moshe...40072296064422

Brad it's torture knowing a few miles down the road Chris is already boiling.

I'm keeping an eye on you to see when you're gonna start. Reds on buckets for me. I hate waiting.

ive been hearing of how people out west more are already making syrup and im going crazy from hearing that! i can wait till i tap!

spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

I tapped 20 for a test, and today i have gotten over 12 gallons, and its still running now, so tomarrow night i will hopefully have about 20 gallons so i can do a little boil. Id tell what the sugar content is, but, I broke my sap hydrometer trying to get it out of the sticky container this morning... oops.
    but i will have updates along the way for me.
    J.C.
    1150 Taps, one 250GPH RO, one 900GPH RO
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf Deluxe raised flue, with forced air, preheater,and stainless hoods.
    18x50 Sugarhouse
    2002 Cummins Sap Hauler

I put out a test tap 2% sap and I bet later in the spring it will get better

HI Brad, The guys with buckets are the ones that will get hurt if they tap now. If your on vac and using check valves and the weather changes its not going to be that bad. So for you tap away. Just my 2 cents worth or not. We will be taping in on valentines day which we try to do every year. Happy boiling to all Keith
    Keith & Michelle
    Still Seeking Farm, LLC
    4120 4x4 John Deere
    2x6 Max Flue with Revalution syrup pan
    349 taps on vac
    19 on gravity
    2 sap hounds

Well did I make a big mistake?? Here in northern New Jersey 55 again today so I tapped one tree and then did the rest.The sap was screaming out and now I read about the lower sugar content now and the holes may dry up or the tree seals up to soon into the better time of the season.This is my 2nd year 15 trees some 2 taps haven't counted them all yet,I guess I have to go with it? I bought a sap hydrometer and will see what it is Saturday.So next time test a tree or two and test sap for what % sugar would be good at minimum.This year is going to be crazy to see what happens in the end.All in buckets on the ground 5/16 plastic taps,going to string some when my box of tubing comes Monday.What is the max taps on 5/16 tubing gravity?length of run should be no longer than??Made 3 3/4 gallons last year 150 gallons of sap

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast