+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drop Flue with Muffin Pans?!

ausable, my evaporator is really a 2x6 i extended the oil tank a little bit and i use steam table pans with the batch method and it sucks. i would love to have a continous flow i just could not afford it this year so i went with steam table pans. next year is when the high efficent 2x5 is going to be built...i would personnally have a raised flue pan if i were to buy one but with this type of "flue" i dont think it matters. i still wouldnt do it cause i dont think it would make the boil rate much better than you are already getting.

heres the math. 3.5" across X3.25" deep=11.375 X 6=68.25sq.in. X 4=273 sq. inches/12/12=1.895 sq ft. if i did my math right and this makes sence you would only get about another 2 gph. not worth it in my mind. just my .02(i would go with the drop tubes) hope you dont take any offence!

spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps
    phaneuf 2x4 with hybrid pan
    2-350 gal, 5-55 gal drums, and a cage tank

only 16 yr old at school making syrup!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carney...3279081?ref=hl

Spencer - Thanks for the reply and no offense taken. I'm always learning and having fun in the process. Some of my Kids and Grand-kids are starting to get into making maple syrup and that makes me a happy old camper. Heck - One of my Grand-daughters and her Husband made some of the nicest maple I've ever saw - their first year and I sure didn't take any offense there either. I really like these sites and all the ideas and advice and yep - some are a bit touchy at times - but my Dad told me years ago - You can learn from almost anyone - even an idiot is bound to know something you don't - so listen. LOL - Not always easy though. --- Hey Spencer -- have a great Syrup making year. -----Mike----

Spencer, your math is off a little bit. The added area per muffin is the sides of the cylinder. That is height times circumference. Circumference is pi X diameter. The area of the bottom is the same as the hole.

Each muffin adds 3.14 X 3.5" X 3.25" = 35.7 sq inches or about a quarter of a square foot. So 24 muffins add about 6 square feet.

Still not a great way to add area. Especially if you are considering using sealant. I think the simplest and easiest method to add flues to a flat pan is to solder in copper drop tubes.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

I thought my math was off a little bit. That just shows how I have a 70 in math class right now! LOL

Spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps

Quote Originally Posted by spencer11 View Post
    ausable, my evaporator is really a 2x6 i extended the oil tank a little bit and i use steam table pans with the batch method and it sucks. i would love to have a continous flow i just could not afford it this year so i went with steam table pans. next year is when the high efficent 2x5 is going to be built...i would personnally have a raised flue pan if i were to buy one but with this type of "flue" i dont think it matters. i still wouldnt do it cause i dont think it would make the boil rate much better than you are already getting.

heres the math. 3.5" across X3.25" deep=11.375 X 6=68.25sq.in. X 4=273 sq. inches/12/12=1.895 sq ft. if i did my math right and this makes sence you would only get about another 2 gph. not worth it in my mind. just my .02(i would go with the drop tubes) hope you dont take any offence!

spencer
    Is there an actual formula to determine evaporation rate?
    Made with care by us & two German Shorthairs
    2x4 Smokey lake Pan w/ dividers
    100 taps on buckets
    28x12 Sap Shack
    2 German Shorthairs
    Masonry Arch, my design
    Heavy slitting maul

on a simple flat pan like a 2x4 one i have heard 1 sq/ft= 1 gph. so 2x4=8 gph. thats what i use anyway. i have heardit is acurate and its easy.

spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps

Default Thank You on the muffin pan idea

This is such great feedback. Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate it. I feel like I have a celebrity responding - I read and watched all of RileySugarbush's postings on this.

A couple of thoughts.

1) Someone asked if my upper pan is divided. It is, so I have two 1 x 4 channels in it that flow to a lower open 2x@ pan with a draw off.
    Someone else asked if I was thinking drop or raised. I am thinking drop so the exhaust has a straight shot through and around the muffin cups.

2) I had been thinking about trying the drop tube for two years but I am worried about the number of functional soldered connections I would have to make. The muffin pans mean I have to only deal with four big holes (about 9" by 14") and the pans will fit right in. I have no experience with soldering and I have this picture of making the hole in the pan and never being able to fix it. I would much prefer the drop tubes - more surface area, faster boil, learn a new skill. I just cannot figure out how to pull it off. For example, I think I could put the caps on pretty easily. I watched a bunch of youtube videos on that. But when I connect the tube to the hole in the pan, I have trouble picture how to keep the tube and pan steady while I solder.

Also, I have done some pricing and the muffin pans seem cheaper. The pans are $10 each plus two tubes of sealant and I can be done for around $60. I think the copper tube would be more given the cost of soldering equipment and materials. I would love to be wrong about that.

3) I love the calculations. I have it at an increase of about five square feet using the calculation based on the area on the sides of the cylinder. I agree that the bottom of the muffin pan is the same area as the bottom of the flat pan. In other words, additional area = (2)*(pi)*(radius of the muffin cup)*(height of muffin cup)*(6 muffin cups per pan)*(4 pans) Given that I have 12 square feet, currently, I am pretty excited by 5 more.

4) I hold out hope that having a drop flue will be better than five more square feet more flat pan. I suspect that these muffin cups, like any drop flue are better heat exchangers than flat pans because the sap is surrounded on five sides by the sides of the muffin cup.

And finally, my plan. I will be testing this out this weekend with a sacrificial couple of pans to see if I can make a tight seal that can handle some heat. I will keep you posted. If it is terrible, I am sure I will be back dreaming about drop tubes. Thanks again for the feedback.
    Urban Mapler

2014 upgraded to an antique leader 2 by 8 drop flue pan! Yikes, I need more sap.

i would love to hear how it turns out.

spencer
    Spencer Carney
    350 taps

The muffin pans are made of aluminum or something like that? If you said, I've missed it.

And you're going to "seal" them in with food grade silicone, or something like that?

If that survives a season of boiling I'll be stunned. Heck, if if it survives a session of boiling I'll be surprised. But the proof of anything is in the doing of it. Let us know how the experiment turns out (and whether you can drink the water you've boiled with the sealant - leaching chemicals out of that stuff at high temperatures is also a concern, though I suppose some of the packaged silicones are rated for food contact - but usually "incidental", like on a countertop seam, not quite the same as being boiled in the pot with it for hours.)

If it is aluminum in a stainless pan, I think the different change in size with changing temperature is going to tear your glue joint open. I think there was also something said about aluminum being attacked by boiling sap on a different thread.

Holding drop tubes in place while soldering is done by flaring the tubes, and letting gravity hold them in place while you solder from the inside/top.
    Last edited by Ecnerwal; 01-25-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    Two turkey pans on cinderblocks in the 1970's
    4x5 no-baffle stainless pan, built sugarhouse ~1980 - buckets and snowshoes. 17 gallons in best year. Went off to college, nothing for 25+ years.
    Thinking about getting going again in new location, in a small way. •• Cats, Coffee, Chocolate...Vices to Live By.

I agree with Ecnerwal. If I had to choose between the two based on ease of fabrication, the soldered drop tubes win. It is not so difficult and many people with no experience have been successful. Plus there is lots of help available here!

The muffin tin idea is interesting, but I think there are lots of problems waiting for you down that road.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast