+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tennessee Maple Syrup Making

Question Tennessee Maple Syrup Making

I may be relocating to Tennessee. Does anyone know if they have a sap season for making syrup down there ? They do have Maple trees, just not sure about tapping.
    Made with care by us & two German Shorthairs
    2x4 Smokey lake Pan w/ dividers
    100 taps on buckets
    28x12 Sap Shack
    2 German Shorthairs
    Masonry Arch, my design
    Heavy slitting maul

I thought they made moon'shine dow there in the woods
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.
    A good Wife that enjoys collecting and working in the sugar house.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Ridge View Post
    I thought they made moon'shine dow there in the woods
    They do, but it sucks on pancakes.
    100 taps on buckets
    28x12 Sap Shack
    2 German Shorthairs
    Masonry Arch, my design
    Heavy slitting maul

what part of tennessee ? i live 20 miles from the line in scottsville ky. i'm going to tap in a week or so. some of the guy's have already tapped down here but we haven't had too many freezing night's in a row yet. last year in mid march, we had a week of 60 - 70 degree weather which coincided with me being sick just after a nice sap run. i was unable to get my 30 gallons of sap from the woods and it fermented. i thought about adding some cracked corn and calling it maple mash but i didn't need another project which i couldn't complete.
    first year at the market 2015!
    I don't act my age so why should i act like i have any sense?
    2014 added a 40"x12' king
    239 taps on my little 3 1/2 acres
    Looking for a sugarbush lease!
    2015 350 taps total
    60 gallons made in spite of learning curve and leaks!
    Good year at the market with all the confections too!
    2016 delaval 76 & with a 6.5 Hp engine gives me 16hg! I think it made my trees 10' shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by nace View Post
    what part of tennessee ? i live 20 miles from the line in scottsville ky. i'm going to tap in a week or so. some of the guy's have already tapped down here but we haven't had too many freezing night's in a row yet. last year in mid march, we had a week of 60 - 70 degree weather which coincided with me being sick just after a nice sap run. i was unable to get my 30 gallons of sap from the woods and it fermented. i thought about adding some cracked corn and calling it maple mash but i didn't need another project which i couldn't complete.
    Hi Nace, I will be over on the East side by Etowah, next to the mountains. Tell me more please. Thank you for responding. I also have a "Tennessee Sap Cooker" for the Maple Mash.
    moms food 015.jpg
    100 taps on buckets
    28x12 Sap Shack
    2 German Shorthairs
    Masonry Arch, my design
    Heavy slitting maul

i havent been there but i looked on the map. elevation 800+ ft and over 100mi. south of me and farther east. i'm at 720' elevation. you could have colder winters because the weather tends to build up before mountains. you may try calling the chamber of commerce or a farm co-op but i would think that you would have a suggar'in season, it just might not be as pronounced or dependable as what you are used to. i'll do some more checking. i knew i should have tried the maple mash. mighty, mighty pleasi'n....pappys maple squeezin's..ooohhh whight lightni'n ! have a great day
    2015 350 taps total
    2016 delaval 76 & with a 6.5 Hp engine gives me 16hg! I think it made my trees 10' shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by nace View Post
    i havent been there but i looked on the map. elevation 800+ ft and over 100mi. south of me and farther east. i'm at 720' elevation. you could have colder winters because the weather tends to build up before mountains. you may try calling the chamber of commerce or a farm co-op but i would think that you would have a suggar'in season, it just might not be as pronounced or dependable as what you are used to. i'll do some more checking. i knew i should have tried the maple mash. mighty, mighty pleasi'n....pappys maple squeezin's..ooohhh whight lightni'n ! have a great day
    Thanks Nace, I;ll do some checking too.
    100 taps on buckets
    28x12 Sap Shack
    2 German Shorthairs
    Masonry Arch, my design
    Heavy slitting maul

good morning 1badsapper, looks like a 5-15mile drive will put you at an elevation of 1200'. an extra 400' of elevation in a region where average temps late dec - mid feb are 30 low- 50 hi and you might have a decent season. i went to wunderground.com and it gave seasonal weather averages. yesterday's high/low temps were 52-27. are you changing job locations or retireing ? i may have to drive daily to nashville if the post office closes our facility in bowling green. thats why i'd like to make a couple thousand gallons of syrup.....to hire myself but i would have to lease all but my little 3 1/2 acres of sugarbush of 120 mature maples. have a good'ern (you'll have ta lern how ta speak hillbilly, good ol boy or redneck). by the way, a dry county is not a place that dosn't get much rain.....they don't sell acohol, which of course includes boiling soda. my boiling soda of choice is lienenkugles sunset wheat.
    2015 350 taps total

Hi 1badsapper,this my second season to make maple syrup in Tennessee.I live in Cheatham Co,just west of Nashville.I tap 46 sugar maples on our 25 acres I put in 60 taps.Last year and this year I tapped between Christmas and New years and the sap started flowing immediately.Last season and so far this season the sugar % ran low[i.2%]The last collection on 1-8-2013 was a little better at 1.5% It may be that the freeze/thaw cycle is less than optimum here but the syrup sure taste good.I boil it in a 2'x3' SS pan with a drain.I have boiled down about 200 gallons so far but with this last warm spell the sap has stopped.When it turns cold next week I hope it starts flowing again. skidiver

+ Reply to Thread