Closed Thread

Thread: sap running

Default sap running

Hi;

In Northern Illinois it will be 40 today and in the 50s the next two then down to the 20s. Does this mean that the sap will be running then? When it cools off does the sap go back down or stay up in the tree? As you can see I,m new at this.

Thanks

Jim

Yes, it's running, but it may not make sense to tap yet. In Illinois you should start to tap pretty soon though. Maybe the end of January, or early Feb. If it stays warm, then after 3 days of 40 degrees.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Maple Jim,

Not sure where you are in Northern Illinois but we are between Rockford & Dixon and typically tap around Valentines day, although last year we did a test tap in late January ant it was running good at 2% so we tapped everything else in. But we were also finished by March 11th because of the warm temps.

Maplemounder
    New To Maple in 09'
    16' x 24' Sugarhouse
    Smoky Lakes Corsair Arch
    2' x4' Smoky Lakes Hybrid Drop Flue Pan
    200 Taps On Bags
    IH 806 Diesel & Allis WD
    2 Horses, Black cattle & Yes Chickens
    An Aussie Named Mable Sugar
    Wife, Kids And A Couple Of Friends To Help!

We are along the river just west of Fox Lake. This will be our third year. The first year I tapped one tree with three taps and got 3 quarts of syrup. Last year I tapped 5 trees with14 taps and got 4 quarts of syrup. Tapped on about the 15th of Feb and left them in till just after the 1st of April. Didn't get much after the 15th of March so I could have quit then. Being new at this I wasn't sure if I should have. I was thinking about tapping on or about the 1st of February this year, That is, depending on the weather pattern. We boil the sap down in a turkey fryer on the porch with propane then finish on the kitchen stove.
    We have friends that we have visited a few times in Australia.

Jim,
    Sounds like we are about 65 miles straight southwest of you. Have to admit last week we were getting pretty anxious too after looking at the forecast. We went ahead and got started on all of the preseason stuff in the sugarhouse, put the collection tank in the truck, worked on plumbing up the pump, etc. That being said after looking at the 10 day today, I think we have a little bit to wait before go time. As far as being a beginner we all make rookie mistakes and this is the place to find all sorts of vast knowledge. Lord knows the Trader has helped us immensely over the years. We typically pull taps when the buds start to swell on our Silvers and when it looks like nightly temps will stay in the mid 30’s on our Hards. If we can ever be of any help, just let us know.
    Maplemounder
    New To Maple in 09'
    16' x 24' Sugarhouse
    Smoky Lakes Corsair Arch
    2' x4' Smoky Lakes Hybrid Drop Flue Pan
    200 Taps On Bags
    IH 806 Diesel & Allis WD
    2 Horses, Black cattle & Yes Chickens
    An Aussie Named Mable Sugar
    Wife, Kids And A Couple Of Friends To Help!

Closed Thread