+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Ontario Tapping

Almost stripped down to my t shirt this morning splitting wood. 46F. Sun feels hot on the face.
    2239 total taps. 443 gravity line, 1806 buckets

3x12 remake of a Small Bros. Lightning evaporator.
    3x9 Darveau raised flue pan, 3x3 D&G reversible finishing pan.
    Reist arch

94 Argo 8x8 Magnum
    06 Argo 8x8 Avenger with a 100 US gal. poly tank in the back.
    30 - 45 Imperial gallon gathering station barrels
    1200 Imperial gallons in holding tanks
    Husqvarna 61
    Husqvarna 365

Im in southern ontario (windsor area) and starting saturday its looks like a perfect storm to be tapping allready. Might pop some in today
    Thursday
    Feb 2 5 0 Cloudy with sunny breaks
    Friday
    Feb 3 5 1 Mainly cloudy
    Saturday
    Feb 4 3 -2 Variable cloudiness
    Sunday
    Feb 5 5 -2 Cloudy with sunny breaks
    Monday
    Feb 6 5 1 Isolated showers
    Tuesday
    Feb 7 2 -2 Variable cloudiness
    Wednesday
    Feb 8 1 -2 Cloudy with sunny breaks
    Thursday
    Feb 9 3 -2 Snow-rain showers
    Friday
    Feb 10 3 -1 Few flurries
    Saturday
    Feb 11 2 -1 Variable cloudiness
    Sunday
    Feb 12 2 -2 Sunny
    Monday
    Feb 13 2 -3 Cloudy periods
    Tuesday
    Feb 14 2 -3 Cloudy periods
    Wednesday
    Feb 15 2 -2 Sunny

stuck in 4 taps in 2 trees around 1 pm, got about 5 gallons of sap allready. Looking pretty decent. I dont have any tools to test how much sugar, but should get a good idea when i boil it off.

Beautiful Napanee, Ontario, Canada (BNOC)

We are in Napanee area and there are guys in Picton that put their taps in on Wednesday from what I hear...they are getting a half decent amount. I might start looking at getting some taps into some trees tomorrow.

Well I think this season is going to be messy. Lots of stop / start cycles. Extra work cleaning. But if we wait for the normal tap time, the trees may be budding.

So .... I put in the first 125 taps today. More going in tomorrow. All on the warmest section of the bush. Dry frozen chips this morning, moist this aft, flowing well
    by evening. The pipelines are full. Hope to flush the RO with it tomorrow night.

With check valves, I think the risk / reward senario has swing in favour of tapping earlier ... especially this year.

Cha ching 2 cents worth

Holy Smokes Brent - now you got me all excited! I haven't been on these forums for a while and just catching up and note you have started tapping! I wasn't even thinking about it for another couple of weeks up here in Simcoe Co. but now you have got me thinking about it and realize I still have some pre-tapping things to do, so will get myself in gear and put my "inside" jobs aside for a while.
    Hoping it will start slowly with the new evaporator this year and will have a bit of a learning curve to overcome.
    Would appreciate it if you keep us informed as to how the run is going in your area - will help with the planning in our area.

Cheers
    2 1/2 X 8 D. & G. (new to me for 2012)
    new CDL 125 RO for 2020
    600 taps - tried vacuum with old Surge dairy pump in 2011 and worked great
    half on vacuum and half on 3/16"
    400 gal. Zero tank
    Kubota 3540 and Cub Cadet splitter
    Wild turkeys and deer to keep me company
    Grandkids used as taste testers!

Still too early for us in Lanark County. We've got lots of snow on the ground and the lake is frozen solid so we're getting colder weather than most. We'll be ready to rock earlier than normal but we still don't plan to start tapping until the Feb 18-20 weekend. I assume that anyone near the Great Lakes will have an early start because there's no ice on them this winter.

I'm looking forward to seeing the steam fly in southwestern Ontario soon! Post pics to help tide us over!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Strung out some tubing yesterday in a section of bush where we take it down to get access to wood cutting,etc.Sun felt warm on the face,but still pretty raw wind,but the feeling and anticipation is there
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

280 taps in by the end of Sunday. Good flow. No vac yet, but there should be 100 gallons by the time I write this. Warm enough tomorrow for more flow. I'll wrap the
    tote Monday night to minimize the freeze and hope that buy Wed we've got enough to flush the RO.

An interesting observation. Last spring I got a hernia just as I was assembling the evaporator at the beginning of the season and when it ended, I did not get back into the bush for
    months to pull the taps. While tapping this weekend, I kept reducing the stepover and height from last years holes until I got down to a 1" horizontal and 2" vertical move. I never drilled
    out stained wood, and they all gushed initially from hydyraulic pressure. I am wondering if leaving the check valves in so late ( not gospel I know ) has somehow changed the staining and
    healing process. It just seems like there might be the potential to end up with more tap sites is the holes are closer. Not science here, just an observation. I've got about 400 more
    taps and I may push it on a few trees and see how much I can reduce the spacing before there is no flow.

Edit: Monday night. Brought in 350 gallons today. More than enough to flush the RO.
    Last edited by Brent; 02-06-2012 at 07:12 PM.

put this in the wrong forum... sorry if you are reading it twice..

all this tapping talk is stressing me out. Hate to say it but I don't even feel like making syrup yet.

Looking at the 14 day forecast here in Belleville... there is a week of plus 2 minus 3 weather coming.

I might upgrade to the check valves and tap family day weekend, gotta think the season will be at least a week shorter than normal, so why not tap a week or so earlier I guess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast