+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapping the 2012 season

No sap yesterday but today and tomorrow look good followed by another cold snap. I like the couple days on and couple days off schedule, gives lots of time to clean up and get ready for the next round. Still waiting on tapping the buckets. Looking like a blitzkreig bucket attack if this crazy weather continues. One day i will decide its all in and hope the holes dont dry up
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Vacuum pulled in 320 gal yesterday, recirculated the RO for about an hour and fifteen min, fired up and boiled 12% for 45 min. Pulled off 5 gal of nice syrup. Love the RO!
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

Its been a rough start to the season but i am all tapped in. The ro when i first started to rinse it, i was still pushing the air out with the feed pump when i realized that the pressure pump had froze and cracked. The housing was brass so i was able to solder it. It sure is nice to boil 12 % concentrate when the evaporator works right. The blower i used last year was to large so it was replaced this year with a smaller one. My first two boils the front pan didn't boil right, the air just went to the front of the ash box, through the grates in front of the wood and bypassed the wood. I placed a deflector in the ash box to force the air up through the grates. That made a big difference and i finally made some syrup last night. I also put vacuum on a woods that was gravity before, i was able to get the vacuum all the way to 7" hg before i ran out of time, have to chase some more leaks down in that system.
    Greg Henderson
    300 gal hr RO
    2x6 maple pro
    350 taps on vacuum

Happy- You have a darn good system. If your sugarbush(tree) slows down you can put a whole nother bush in new whenever. You could fall tap too and make syrup half the year. Theron

Hi Theron- right now making syrup half the year sounds like heaven. Say that in a month or so and I'll probably want to harm you

You have a great season!

It's froze up and probably will be for 5 days or so. I need to get an electric heater tomorrow. I'm going to stick it in the arch. I don't like the idea of draining the flue pan. I'll be crossing my fingers. I haven't even thought about cleaning buckets yet.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

We have hit 27 gallons. Good year for us so far. The new(to me) 3 by 10 boils pretty good. 85 gallons per hour. My cousin in somerset hasnt tapped yet that i know of :0 although last year at this time i wasnt tapped either.
    3X10 Lappiere Cross Flow Raised Flue
    Lappiere 250 Turbo RO
    800 ish taps??? for 2015
    rossellsmaple.com

MAY THE SAP BE WITH YOU

I took a late night drive through the bush tonight with the sap hauler and collected about 10 gallons or so, the buckets were frozen so I had the natural ro working for me. It was a beautiful night to be in the woods no need for a light with the snow on the ground and a bright moon. The Bly thing that was a bit eerie was when I got off the tractor in the upper half of the bush I turned on my head lamp and had 6 eyes looking at me thankfully they were the resident deer that ocasionaly play with my buckets!
    6 year Backyard producer
    2 little sap haulers
    leader half pint clone, wood fired
    50 buckets or so
    http://photobucket.com/albums/x473/Sleauber/Turtle Creek Maple Syrup

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlecreek View Post
    The Bly thing that was a bit eerie was when I got off the tractor in the upper half of the bush I turned on my head lamp and had 6 eyes looking at me thankfully they were the resident deer that ocasionaly play with my buckets!
    Its when you have only two eyes looking at you and you notice the outline is black and bigger than you that you get concerned. Then you notice a musty smell and you really get concerned!!! By the way those critters like to play with buckets to.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

I was hoping that those 6 eyes didn't belong to 3 black things that just happened to want to wake up and take a nice wintertime stroll!
    6 year Backyard producer
    2 little sap haulers
    leader half pint clone, wood fired
    50 buckets or so
    http://photobucket.com/albums/x473/Sleauber/Turtle Creek Maple Syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast