+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fermented syrup

My question now is how long do you have to reboil the fermented syrup in order to kill the microorganisms that are fermenting it?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    Hey Doc - As a Backyarder I have no experience with storing Maple Syrup in Barrels as I never have that much syrup at any one time. So the Barrels have to be sterile like a canning jar - which makes sense. Sealed so that no airborne wild yeast or other organism can get at and go to work on the sugars. Are these barrels under a slight vacuum like a canning jar? What is the ideal temperature to store maple syrup in barrels? I would imagine the maple syrup is put into these barrels hot - is that correct? Even as an Old Bird - I'm always amazed at how little I really know and Thanks in advance. -----Mike-----
    They should be clean. They won't be "sterile". As long as the syrup is put in them HOT, and then the barrel is sealed, it will kill most everything in there, and will end up with a slight vacuum. If you have a small leak, it'll pull stuff in, and if the density isn't high enough, it can ferment.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

The main culprit allowing air in is a bad gasket on the bung, to many sugarmakers use then over and over. Sometimes it is a bad weld in the seam or end crimps, A leak will be easy to find because it will leak. LOL
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12