+ Reply to Thread

Thread: people bring me sap how should i work their share of syrup

Default people bring me sap how should i work their share of syrup

Does any one else have this situation and how to they work it with shares of syrup. The shack and all the equiptment are mine they just bring me their sap and i boil it.

First thing is if you don't have one get a sap refractometer, sap hydros are too temp sensative(my opinion) and just do the simple math to figure how much syrup they will get + what ever your compensation for wood/ oil time container(s) etc etc etc. be it syrup, $$$, labor, wood, barder what ever.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

A fair rule of thumb is 50/50 of the syrup produced, so as Red Maples says you need a refractometer to determine the sugar content of the sap and work out from there how much syrup should be produced and split it 50/50. As there is a cost for collecting/gathering sap as there is a cost for boiling it down.
    4x14 Force 5
    1,800 on Wet/Dry more come
    30x50 Sugarhouse

good deal ive done this the past two years and have done the 50/50 deal but i dont have a refractometer i just do a figure on the total year of gallons of sap boiled to gallons of syrup made and thats how i figure their share. I was just kinda wondering if everyone else did the 50/50 share deal

Be mindful that the rule of 86 no longer works , since syrup is made to a higher brix than it was when the rule of 86 was figured out . You always hear people talk about shrinkage when they come up short on syrup using the rule of 86 . It is now the rule of 89.2 , try it , you'll be real close to what you should make . Within a couple gallons / hundred . If you make syrup from someone elses sap and use the rule of 86 , your split will be more like 55-45 with you getting the short end of the stick ! That concludes todays lesson .
    If it were easy , everyone would be doing it !!!

cool thanks for the info

Default Rule of 89.2!!!

Rule of 89.2!!! Last year I had a friend boil for me. Every drop I checked sugar content and logged it with the date and amount of sap in the log book that he had as he does this for alot of producers. Then recorded the information in my log that I kept. 50/50 worked for everyone. and everyone was happy. Each producer took their share of syrup and or sold their share back to him if they wanted to also. wonderful way to start out and am very grateful for his patientence and teaching me. I bought my own evap this year and hopefully can beat my 42 gallon mark in 2012!

Where does the 89.2 rule come from? At what Brix are you finishing your syrup? The North American Maple Producers Manual states the 86 rule was developed when the Brix reading was 65.5. The current 66 Brix works out to be 87.1

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread