+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running Lines

I thought I was the only nut-case in the woods putting up line by the light of a head lamp. It gets really hard to find previous years scars when working under those conditions. What makes it even more fun in the dark is working around all tree tops from loggers, and the dead-fall from 2 small twisters that got us last year and that inland hurricane (we had about 25 - 30 minutes of sustained 70-100 mph winds) that dead-centered us 3 years ago. Amazingly, the maples weathered the storms better than most of the trees.
    Last edited by Goggleeye; 01-20-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

I've since had to go during the day light to tap the one's that I had missed in the dark. Now I'm running the sap tanks in the dark. Working all day long and sugaring in the night makes for a long day. But I still look forward to it.

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

I know what you mean about finding those you missed. Last year when I was taking down my lines, I found several drops and short laterals that went to trees that weren't even tapped. Looks like we're getting ready to have a big sap, and wouldn't you know it, I screwed my back up this morning lifting something. I felt the disc slip, and I can barely walk. Chiropractor was willing to see me today (she's a big fan of our syrup) and she said I should be able to be going again at a slow pace in about three weeks. I hope the wife can manage till then.

Mark
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.

I'm sorry to hear about your back, three weeks is a real killer. When does your flow start, will it hold off that long? Today we cooked and I ended up with about 2 1/2 gallons, not as much as I was hoping for. Maybe in a few days we'll have a big sap flow. This weather we have been having is all messed up, I don't know if we'll even have a winter this year.

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

Flow has already started here. I've got about 2-3 gallons of syrup, and the evap is sweet, waiting for more sap. (The wife finished the boil, and my brother is cutting my firewood for house and cooker. I've been blessed with an awesomely supportive family). I'd imagine the sap is pouring out today. I've been getting around a bit better today, so hopefully tomorrow I can coach the wife and kids through the collection process. This weather has been very odd. Right now, I'll be happy with enough syrup for ourselves and family.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12