+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help desiginging a cement block arch.

Default need help desiginging a cement block arch.

I have a 2x2 flat pan and a 2x3 divided pan, and am looking to design a temporary arch for this year out of cement blocks. any ideas or sugustions?

I'm attaching some pics of my Dad using a cement block arch. He lined the inside with firebrick because the heat will break down the cement blocks if unprotected. Not sure how long they'd lastwithout it--maybe someone will chime in.

He'd add another row of block to the top if the wind was up, to help protect the boil.

Different years were different blocks high.

In the 2nd picture, the pan is pulled off for draining, tasting off the sides [mmmmm] and cleaning. I'm on the far right, with my Mom's Dad in the middle, and a neighbor kid on the left.

3rd pic is better view of stovepipe. Dad is in the blue. Can you tell it was the 70's?

It's a 2x5 divided pan.

HTH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cake O' Maple; 01-02-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added size of pan
    ~~~~~~
    Beth

Dad boiled when I was a kid; I helped haul wood & sap, & taste test.

2011: 6 taps, full size hotel pan, turkey fryer: 3 gallons + 7 pints.

2012: 80 taps, 105K & 210K BTU propane burners, 2 double size hotel pans. Dad says he won't need to come help 'cause "there won't be anything to do if there's no wood to chuck in.": ~25 gallons.

2013: 55 taps, 28 gallons; same burners/pans as last year.

I do custom cakes: www.bethscakes.bravehost.com

Cake,
    Those are great pics! I still rock plaid plants. Some things just never go out of style.

Scout,
    There's a great bit of detail in the third pic that's worth noting. His dad supported his stack with what looks like a pipe slid through the holes in the block and then shimmed to stay straight. Your stack is going to be at least 10' high plus another 16" for the blocks it rests on. It doesn't take much of a wind to get 11+ feet of stack teetering. The drop light hooked on the stack is a great idea, too.

There are lots of discussions on here about building block arches. Do a search and you'll find a ton of info. Try these for starters.

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ght=block+arch

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ght=block+arch

Sean

Below is a link to some pics of my block setup. Works well for me. Any questions let me know.

http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/y...le%20Sugaring/
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

Lou phone pictures 2010-11 058.jpgLou phone pictures 2010-11 047.jpg
    here are a couple of pictures that can help you out
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

Hey TapME, I didn't realize you could use regular bricks (red clay) in an arch. How long do they last before cracking/crumbling/etc? Thanks for the idea. Fire bricks are pricey, old chimney bricks are much cheaper...

there are 2 types of red brick, one that is red and the other is an orange color. the red one deflect the heat well but do crack after a a couple of years if not surported or mortared in. The orange are soft inside bricks(if old ones) that crumble after a while if they get damp, I do not use them if I can help it. these have been in the arch for 3 years and have had no trouble with them. they do a great job saving the blocks from being distroyed. The metal angle with bolts welded to it is the leveling part that holds the pans. Lou phone pictures 2010-11 053.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    Hey TapME, I didn't realize you could use regular bricks (red clay) in an arch. How long do they last before cracking/crumbling/etc? Thanks for
    the idea. Fire bricks are pricey, old chimney bricks are much cheaper...
    Last edited by TapME; 01-10-2012 at 07:05 AM.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

What about scrap 1/8" sheet metal to line the inside of the arch instead of brick?

Quote Originally Posted by NH/Pete View Post
    What about scrap 1/8" sheet metal to line the inside of the arch instead of brick?
    No way that will take the heat even if there is no blower.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Thanks TapME, I've gotten by with just cinder blocks in years past but I lose several each year. I've been leery of investing in the fire bricks but I see clay bricks for free all the time on Craigslist.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast