+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First timer in Missouri question

Default First timer in Missouri question

Wanting to try making maple syrup for the first time, my question for those in Missouri. When do I want to have my spouts in. I have heard anytime from late January to Mid February. I'm in west central Missouri. 30 miles East of Kansas City. Any advice for a first timer would be appreciated

Whenever the extended forecast shows an extended pattern of above freezing days. Welcome to the trader, how many taps do you plan to start with?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

It's been below freezing at night and above freezing during the day for pretty much late late fall and so far this winter here in my neck of the woods, mild winter for us so far. I have about a dozen trees that I can tap, so about 12 taps is all I will try to do.

Good luck! We will be watching
    Its all about the weather and when the trees bud now. I would have no idea whats happen in Missouri? Not to many folks making syrup out there to my knowledge.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Welcome to the world of Syrup!

I'm down here in Springfield, and there's at least one other guy on the eastern side of Missouri.

It and addictive hobby, not to mention the sugar high.

I've only been sugaring for 4 years, so I have a lot to learn.

Other years it's been more clear about when to tap. This warm weather is crazy, isn't it?

All of those northern guys can talk about "below freezing at night" and "above freezing during the day", but around here, that translates into November? December? January? February?

I refuse to tap until after Jan 1, but according to the rules, we surely could.

Tap holes close up after a certain amount of time, depending on the temperature and thus the bacteria and the tree healing the wound. I'd like to tap in the next week or so, but if I wait, I may get a better stretch of weather...or worse.

Always a gamble, for the northern guys too, so we're not alone.

Let me know if you have questions or are down our way.

Matthew Groves

Hello, Hello! I'm the "other guy on the eastern side of Missouri" that Groves is referring to, I think. I'll be tapping all my trees (350) this weekend, probably Saturday morning. Long term forecast shows some good freeze-thaw cycles over the next week and half, and I wouldn't think that the weather would be a lot different in KC area. Any more q's, let us know.

Mark
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

Talking I am a NW Missouri newbie

I am from North West Missouri & this is my 1st attempt at this syrup thing. I tapped 3 trees in my back yard last Friday & have collected roughly 30 gallons of sap so far. To my amazement the wife & I have actually produced 1 quart of tasty maple syrup so far. I am using a turkey fryer as my evaporator. I hope you have as good luck as I have.

+ Reply to Thread