Don't complain, a lot of guys would love to have your problem! :wink:
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

I hear ya Brandon, it's a rough life....collect sap, boil sap, check the trader, etc.......
    250 taps(maybe more); all Red Maples
    600' runs of 5/16" "mainline" crankn' out big vacum
    2.5' x 8' flat pan rippn' 12.5 - 15.0 gph!)
    Amherst, WI

Still boiling in the tomorrow river valley! Started at 3:00pm on Friday and havn't stopped since. I have burned up 1/2 cord of wood and went thru around 600 gals. of sap since friday, yep thats right only 15gph! A real evaporator sure would be nice! Yesterdays run finally let up a little bit, only collected 70 gals., but this morning temps. are at 25degrees and the sun is shinning so I'm sure with the 40 degree temps today we are going to get pounded with another round of sap. I'm interested to see how much syrup comes off with this batch as sugar has been heavy up to now. I will out of town all this next week so things should be real intersting when I get back 8O!
    Amherst, WI

We havn't had any runs in about a week in Central, WI. The weather warmed up and here we sit. Overall, it has been a very good year though. We have made about 31 gallons of syrup ranging from very light to very dark. Our normal production is usually around 30 gals. so all in all its been good. We still have our taps in, no signs of buds yet and who knows we may just get a little more. Temps this AM are back to 29 and 50 is forecasted for the high. This weekend the temps are also suppose to freeze at night so I'm all ready for one last boil!
    Amherst, WI

Collected 100 gals. of sap last night. I started boiling last night as I hate to keep this stuff sitting around with all the warm weather. It looks like we will be getting some good sapping weather through this weekend and then by tuesday of next week it looks like the real warm weather will be back. We are hoping to get a couple hundred more gallons of sap this weekend and maybe, just maybe we will be pushing up near that 40gal. of syrup mark! That would be very cool!
    Amherst, WI

The weather is supposed to be 19 tonight and 25 tomorrow night. Then real warm weather next week. Hoping for another 5 gals. of syrup, we'll see what happens!
    Amherst, WI

I finished the last boil of the season today. Weather has now crept up to 70degrees and I had a hard time concentrating on cooking syrup today. Finished up the 6gal. batch today and I couldn't believe that this was lighter in color than the last batch we cooked. Flavor was also very good and this was a relief as I was sort of worried with all the warm weather and potential of buddy sap. I'll try to pull all the taps and buckets late in the week and then get the remaining items wrapped up by the end of the coming weeked. All in all this was a great season, best ever in the Tomorrow River Valley. Syrup total was 37gals. and the season lasted about 4 weeks. Thanks to all on this forum as it is a very informational and friendly place to visit!
    Amherst, WI

Fall Creek, WI Woods: Lincoln/Price Counties, WI

I drove up north Friday afternoon and took a turn on Otto Road around 4:30 PM. I didn't have much hope of finding your place based on the info you left, but I thought I might see bags, buckets, or steam from the road. Oh well, maybe next year I can get actual directions. Nice scenery in your area.
    Russell Berg
    Mount View Sugar Bush - Since 1989
    2004 5.5' x 18' Custom-built Stainless Evaporator w/ 7' Piggyback + Preheater
    4,000 - 5,000 taps vacuum/gravity/bags
    24' x 32' Sugar Shack

Sounds good Russ, let me know when your in the area.
    Amherst, WI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123