+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warren Evaporator

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    Not to change the subject but what does IXL stand for? I have some buckets purchased from Heus years ago stamped with those initials.
    Ed I cant answer that but its ironic you mentioned the buckets I sold you. I am actually going back to buckets this season.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Jason; Sometimes being or going old school is not a bad thing. I was kind of wondering if ixl has any tie in to IXl brand maple hardwood flooring. In that case ixl stood as an acronym for I excell. It was produced by Wisconsin land and lumber company in Hermansville Mi which owned and logged the UP property I now own.
    Last edited by Ed R; 11-19-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Jason,
    A few years back there was a Warren, probably a 3 x10, that sold at Ray Gingerich’s auction. It was in rough shape and went pretty cheap. I just about bought it for Sugarmaker for him to restore��
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

Jim,
    Thanks for reminding me of the rest of the story about the Warren evaporator we had.
    So we had not made syrup for many years due to the condition of the Warren arch and also that one of the neighbors who was helping burnt up several of the pans. Dad was not happy but as usual did not say much. We tapped roadside trees and took the sap to another local sugarhouse for them to boil and we got half of the syrup from our sap.
    So the Warren arch continued to fall into disrepair. in 1984 ish Dad found a 3 x 12 King arch and pans about 20 miles from home. I went with him and another sugarmaker and we gathered up what was left of the King arch, loaded it on the pick up and brought it home and unloaded it next to a shed across the road from the barn. The idea was that I would retin the arch for him and we would get going again. Never happened. Life got in the way!
    Fast forward to 1998. Dad passed away and we began the task of cleaning up the farm for sale.
    I poked my head in the old sugarhouse but had no desire or thoughts about making syrup. Until, I looked back in the corner and I remember Dad telling me that those 100 old stick tight buckets were mine! I began to look at the falling down Warren arch and pans.
    I loaded one flat rusted pan and took it to a local fab shop. I asked him for a price on making a set of stainless pans of this Warren design. in a couple days he called me and gave me the price. I think it was $5000. Wheeew! There was no way I was going to spend that kind of money to get into the syrup business. A week later the shop owner called and said he seen a set of used stainless conventional pans at a auction that was coming up. I went and bought those old A&A pans that were for a 3 x 10. I remembered the King arch still setting in the weeds at the farm! We went and dug it out of the weeds to start restoring! I guess the syrup roots run deep and the old Warren was telling me I needed to get back to making some syrup! And oh how many new friends I have met over the years!
    Guess that why I like old things, most have a story!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Father & Son View Post
    Jason,
    A few years back there was a Warren, probably a 3 x10, that sold at Ray Gingerich’s auction. It was in rough shape and went pretty cheap. I just about bought it for Sugarmaker for him to restore��
    Jim I remember that. I even took pictures but they must be on an old cell phone.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Was real nice to connect the Warren salesmans sample with the owner! Thanks Bill! Looking forward to looking at your rare scale model evaporator too!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12