+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Loudon, NH

We had a very good turn out for the first day of the Maple Open House yesterday. Sold close to $500 worth of syrup with alot of repeat customers buying larger quantities. Hoping for another good day today.

Had some people stop in from Iowa that tap box elders and boil it down in dutch ovens. Also had some people from Rhode Island that were looking for another sugarhouse in the area but found my place instead. Had some interesting converstions with them and both bought some of my syrup.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Had another good turn out for maple weekend yesterday. The sap is still nice and clear here but I am making dark amber syrup. Made over 50 gallons so far and passed last years 47 gallons yesterday. The sap is running good today and it looks like it will run tomorrow and weds. Hoping to get another week or 2 before it is all done.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Boiled in 585 gallons of sap last night. Started the RO at 4:20, lit the evaporator right after that and was all out of sap at 9:03. Cleaned up the sugarhouse put the syrup in 5 gallon containers and was in bed at 10:00. Up to 64 gallons for the year, 1 more than my previous record. The sap is running again today. If the run is good today could hit 75 gallons tonight.

Russ
    Russ

Russ,

How many taps do you have?? That is a lot of sap in a days time!
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Brandon, I have about 200 taps on vacuum, 129 buckets and another 200 on gravity tubing. About 150 of my taps are smallish red maples that don't produce as well as the sugars but those are on vacuum and that has out produced everything else. Looks like today might be the last run, I hope not.

Russ
    Russ

I can hear the fat lady singing. Boiled in another 520 gallons of sap last night. Went to grade "B" and at 75 gallons for year. I left the vacuum pump on overnight last night. Only about 4 inches of sap in the tank this am and it's cloudy. Will check it tonight to see if I have enough to boil and if it is worth boiling.

Russ
    Russ

HANG IN THERE MAN,,,,,,,YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED WHAT THE NEXT 2 WEEKS BRINGS,,,of course I might be too...
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

I boiled in 130 gallons last night. The commercial grade syrup it made was the best tasting of the year. Unfortunately it is time to pull the taps here. The sap was only what had run here yesterday. The trees have already stopped running at my parents house and the ones here didn't run very well.

Russ
    Russ

All of the taps are pulled and the tubing washed. Still have alot of clean up to do and syrup to can. Made 80 gallons of syrup and had a good time doing it.

Anyone thinking about getting a larger evaporator or adding an RO machine for next season here are numbers to think about. With my 2x6 evaporator and RO machine I made 80 gallons of syrup using only 1-1/2 cords of wood which was 99% dry pine. Thats alittle over 50 gallons of syrup per cord of wood! In the past it was more like 2 cords of wood for 25 gallons of syrup. I don't know how much electricity I used yet but I am sure the amount of wood saved will be well worth it. My recomendation would be to get the RO machine.

Russ
    Russ

What are you concentrating to Russ? We are running it to 8% and average about one cord per hundred gallons of syrup.
    Scott W.
    2.5x8 Grimm raised flue
    Leader inferno arch 90 gph
    Vacuum, RO, Syrofilter
    1500 taps
    UV filter
    Can am 400 HO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast