Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Verona Conference

Default 2012 Verona Conference

General announcement below.

= = = = =
    Maple Producer’s Winter Conference
    Verona, New York

Dear maple enthusiast: October 20, 2011

On behalf of the Vernon-Verona-Sherrill FFA, I cordially invite you to the 17th Annual Maple Producer’s Winter Conference. The conference is scheduled for January 6th and 7th, 2012 at the Vernon-Verona-Sherrill (V.V.S.) High School, Verona, New York.

More than ever before! Last year, more than 800 people attend the show with 35 of the top maple presenters in North America, 32 workshops, and 35 of the industry’s best manufactures, dealers, and vendors with 65 tables of maple supplies and equipment!

Great time to be a Maple Producer! – With a growing maple industry and emphasis on maple production, many producers are experiencing record production and increased sales of maple syrup. This conference is formatted with you in mind and is dedicated exclusively to maple.

Friday Night format awesome! – Nearly 350 people attended again last year at the Friday Night Trade Show and guest speaker; this year’s presentation will be at 6:00 PM with the Maple Trade Show open from 5:00 PM until 9:00 PM. Continued This Year – Friday Night Maple Auction!
    More than $2,500 of equipment and supplies were sold at last year’s auction! We plan to start the auction right after the Friday night speaker. Bring your used or even new maple equipment and place it in Friday night’s auction. To register maple items for the auction, write out a description of the equipment and return to us by December 15th. Information on auction items will be made available via email request after December 28th. Auction service fee will be 15% of auction price paid by seller. You MUST BE REGISTERED FOR FRIDAY NIGHT CONFERENCE IN ORDER TO BE ADMITTED TO THE AUCTION! Please consider selling a piece of equipment in this year’s auction.

For individuals requiring lodging, reservations for overnight accommodations may be made at Hotel at Vernon Downs, Route 31, Vernon (315) 829-3400. (WHEN REGISTERING AT THE HOTEL, PLEASE MENTION THE MAPLE CONFERENCE TO RECEIVE A SPECIAL CONFERENCE RATE OF ONLY $79!) The V.V.S. High School is located between Utica and Syracuse on State Route 31. From State Route 5 in Vernon, take State Route 31 West. From Oneida or Rome, take State Route 365 to State Route 31 East. Just two minutes from NYS Thruway Exit 33, the ideal central location of the school is easily accessible.

Plan Now to Attend –Pre-registration deadline is December 15th
    Advanced registration is $15 for Friday night only, $30 for Saturday only, or $40 for both Friday and Saturday. At-the-door registration is $20 for Friday and $40 for Saturday. Registration includes admittance to trade show and all workshops and light meal Friday evening and Saturday continental breakfast, and all-you-can-eat luncheon buffet. No confirmation will be mailed and no refunds of pre-registrations. Receipts are available at conference registration. Please make checks payable to: “V.V.S. FFA”. We look forward to another great maple conference.

Is there a list of workshops yet?
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

This looks a little ugly (could not attach a file larger than 19.5?) but hopefully folks can make this out.
    = = = = = =

Session Room Topic Speaker

Session I Auditorium Two taps vs. one: a look at sap yields Tim Wilmot, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center
    Session II Auditorium Maple vacuum systems Brad Gillian, Leader Evaporator
    Session III Auditorium Managing the sugarhouse Glen Goodrich, Goodrich Maple Farm
    Session IV Auditorium Facts and figures about wood fired Force-5 evaporator Rejean Laverdiere, LaPierre Inc.

Session I LGI The impacts of high Brix R.O. concentration on your syrup and on your work Joel Boutin, Quebec Maple Cooperative
    Session II LGI Update on current maple research at the UVM Proctor Maple Research Center Dr. Tim Perkins, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center
    Session III LGI Taphole sanitation studies: Can the season be extended through taphole sanitation Dr. Tim Perkins, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center
    Session IV LGI Practices that result in poor maple flavor and invert levels in sap Joel Boutin, Quebec Maple Cooperative

Session I Media Center Fall Maple Promotion that has attracted over 1000 for three years running Chuck Winship, Pam Masterson, Sugarbush Hollow LLC
    Session II Media Center The value of making improvements to our maple operation Rick Newman, Breezie Maples Farm
    Session III Media Center Maple tubing and vacuum system design Steve Childs, Cornell Maple Program
    Session IV Media Center Tubing systems and tap hole sanitation, research update Steve Childs, Cornell Maple Program/Dean Harvey, Harvey's Maple Spout/Neal - VVS FFA

Session I Middle School Café. Maple fudge, hard candy, taffy and marshmallow Steve Childs, Cornell Maple Program
    Session II Middle School Café. What's new in making maple cotton, maple kettle corn and maple Carmel corn Greg Zimpfer, Zimpfer's Maple Products
    Session III Middle School Café. Maple cream making for the beginner Dean and Ruth Esther Delevan, Delevan Maple
    Session IV Middle School Café. Think Outside the Jug At Your Event - maple products that never make it home Jason and Heidi Wolf, Wolf Maple Products

Session I #11 Producing and Marketing Birch Syrup David Moore
    Session II #11 Research results of the SARE farmer grant on tubing sanitation Mike Farrell, Cornell Maple Program, Mike Parker, Parker Family Maple Farm
    Session III #11 Strategies for Growing Your Business Mike Farrell, Cornell Maple Program
    Session IV #11 The Economics of Buying and Pricing Sap Mike Farrell, Cornell Maple Program

Session I #12 Maple production for the beginner Eric Randall, Randall's Maple Products
    Session II #12
    Session III #12 Steps we took to go from a back yarder to commercial maple operation - Panel Jeff Benjamin maple, Steven Grant maple, Dave Bruinix -Para-Deys Acres Maple Syrup
    Session IV #12 Turning your hobby into a profitable business JJ Schell, CCE Oswego County

Session I #13 Working with a forester David A. Skeval, Onondaga County CCE
    Session II #13 Sugarbush Thinning Improves Growth and Sap Peter Smallidge, Cornell Maple Program
    Session III #13 The effects of forest pests on the health of your trees Rebecca Hargrave, CCE of Chenango County
    Session IV #13 Energy from the Forest Landscape: What Every Maple Producer Needs to Know About Gas, Wind and Right-of-Way Leases Brett Chedzoy, CCE Schuyler County

Session I #14 Selling at shows and farmers markets Dan Weed, Schoolyard Sugarbush
    Session II #14 Product liability and farm coverage for the maple producer William Tully, Farm Family Insurance
    Session III #14 How to make the most of your “find a Producer”listing on the nysmaple.com website Helen Thomas, Maxon Estate Farms
    Session IV #14 More on marketing Michele Ledoux, CCE of Lewis County

Session II Hallway Maple tubing for the beginner demonstration Phil and Hamilton Sage, Sage Family Maple
    Session II Shop So you want to weld stainless, limit of 20 Rob Roser, Agriweld
    Session III Shop So you want to weld stainless, repeated, limit of 20 Rob Roser, Agriweld
    Session III Ag shop hallway Basic Sap House Setups and Considerations for the Beginner Tour and discussion of VVS Sugarhouse

Session I Music Suite Maple Queen and Princess Program
    Session II Music Suite Maple Queen and Princess Program
    Session III Music Suite Maple Queen and Princess Program
    Session IV Music Suite Maple Queen and Princess Program

Session I
    Session II TBA Getting it right: grading, labels and other Ag and Markets regulations Sharon Hall, Sherri Card, NYS Ag and Markets
    Session III TBA High vacuum without a pump - experiments with 3/16 natural gravity Tim Wilmot, UVM Proctor Maple Research Center
    Session IV TBA Bottling syrup for the small maple producer Chris Pfeil, The Maple Guys

Session I Commercial - Whats new at Leader Evaporator
    Session II Commercial - Whats new at Lappierre
    Session III Commercial
    Session IV Commercial

Computer Lab Using websites and social media for promoting your business JJ Schell, CCE Oswego County

How does one go about registering.. the costs are listed, but not the HOW to register... can we register online?

Go to Cornell's web site www.maple.dnr.cornell.edu Click on NYS Maple Conference under "items of interest". The first page describes it and pg 2 is the application form. I don't think you can register online, you must print the form and mail with your payment. Must be postmarked by 12/15 to get early discount price.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for the information.

Planning to attend this year and was wondering how much inventory dealers have on site and what kind of discounts they usually offer?
    The educational program looks super.
    Thanks Mark
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

MArk- best thing is to call the dealers ahead of time if your looking for something specific. Last year I had CDL bring some NH jugs over. some discounts, especially at 3:30pm on Saturday so they don't have to pack things back up...
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Does anyone have the final program? The one above has too many TBA's and blanks. I don't seem to come up with it in the searches I tried. In the past I found the program online ahead of the event. I'd rather decide which seminars to attend tonight rather than when I get there. My wife and I usually go to different ones so we get more coverage.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Keith sent it to me yesterday... no TBDs.. email me at AirstreamNut@Gmail.com and I'll send it to you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast