+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Maple nuts for beginners

I am too lazy to go back and read the whole thing again too! But the sugar is from the syrup.
    We just fired up the Maple peanut line today. And granddaughter M said she didn't like the "business" it was too much work!
    I was using some late season dark syrup. It coated the nuts but it was touch and go for a little while as it looked like a gooey PayDay bar!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

thanks sugarmaker, I decided I needed to go back and read the hole thing, cause I just came back from wallmarts, and bought 20oz. of almonds, and 6 oz. pecans

I have a question . Some had added salt, and cinnamon to your almonds, I thought all the salt and cin. would end up in one place. Did any of you add this stuff to the syrup for a better mix? And thank you for this post!!!

we made some last night with 6 oz. to a lb of nuts, we mixed almonds, cashews, and pecans and right before I poured the syrup over nuts, I added a 1/2 t. cinnamon. should have added full teaspoon. but we were going to send them to our kids, one in Cal. on in N.C. along with their syrup. we will have to make another batch, these were going fast last night

Used the step by step photos to make my first maple roasted nuts : pecans, almonds and peanuts. They were fantastic. I did put them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet after coating in the pan. Roasted for 8 minutes at 350 degrees to crisp them up.

IMG_4756.jpg
    Page Meadow Maple
    Lowell, Maine
    Leader Half Pint evaporator
    80 taps: 53 buckets, 27 drop lines

Job Lot or PriceRite has been where we have been getting our nuts. I had a guy in town ask me to make maple almonds for him to sell at his farm stand. He thinks we could sell them for $6.99/lb seems cheap to me......I suggested small bag quantities for $5.00
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

Wow $6.99 a pound is very cheap. I've seen most any coated nuts for around a $1 an ounce snack size.
    Jared

I'll be giving this a shot when I get home this evening to bring to dinner with me later on. I've made mostly dark amber but I imagine this will still work for me if i bring it up to 32 deg over boiling water. Guess we'll find out!
    2016 - 5 taps - soda bottles and water jugs - boiled over a firepit - 3 quarts
    2017 - 15 taps - 5g buckets - barrel evaporator - "Bessie" - 2.85 gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678